Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#436961 01/13/20 12:19 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
It only took 4 years of procrastination but I finally have my original heater installed and working. Thanks to fellow member Chistech who refurbished and re-chromed it, she's throwing off terrific heat. It was quite a physical effort though, wiring, mounting it while squeezing myself under the dash. I added 2 shut-offs in case things went south. But no leaks and it did drop the engine temp down immediately when turned on. Good for dumping excess heat on hot summer days, and parades maybe. I know, I need a correct hose clamp and my plumbing is a little excessive....
Meanwhile, it's there if I need it to warm the toes. Got 130 degrees with the IR gun on the heater. (Repro knob from the FS) [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
Congrats !! and you know if Ted rebuilt it then it is top notch !!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have about the same kind of heater to install in my 32 Chevy. I see that you had to drill and do a pipe fit into the top area where the thermostate is. On the top hose, which one of the heater lines does that go to?

Thanks
Al Carey

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
The top hose connects to a brass spacer a fellow member milled and tapped (3/8" npt). It was made from the original spacer part Chevy offered. That hose (5/8") goes into the higher inner heater tube but I don't think it matters which one. I have a thermostat, sandwiched between 2 gaskets, that I relocated to the top of this spacer so I get full heat all the time. Also shown is the lower elbow that a friend drilled into and welded in a standard 3/8" black pipe union.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.