Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
The last vehicle, a pickup truck, rolled off the line at GM Canada's Oshawa plant today ending GM auto manufacturing in Canada. I spent some summers working there 35 years ago and several generations of my family worked there over the years. I was the odd man out and turned down a position there working with robots in Paint Production. I'd be retired now lol.

Some of the land where this plant is located was actually family land at one time and I have a picture of my grandfather on this property as a boy with a single cow as they were not well off.

It's an eerie feeling knowing it is now closed as it always represented prosperity to me growing up in the area. My father and uncle still have GM Pensions so little bit of concern there as well so hoping it works out for all of the employees affected.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
GM in Canada gone the same way GM-H in Australia went 2 years ago. The GM products we get these days are from Europe or Korea and dont seem to have appealed to the buying public though I havent seen any official numbers.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Criminal! Our gov can break laws protecting Quebec companies but not show one iota for an institution like the GM (McLaughlin) legacy. GM won't be selling me any new products.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Close, but not quite correct yet. The GM Cami plant at Ingersoll Ontario is still in full production making the Chev Equinox. How long this will last is anyone's guess.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Greed is killing the Canadian auto industry, spent my working career as a licensed mechanic repairing auto's and trucks . Spent 7000 hours in the Canadian apprenticeship program and 1 year of schooling to get my Class A licence only to watch brainless robot auto assemblers make a fortune assembling new cars in a nice warm factory . No pity for these under worked and overpaid people , glad there all kicking stones down the road. :)

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My 1960 Corvair sedan was built at that plant on Jan 10, 1960 and remains the oldest known Canadian built Corvair (body #236). It also remains un-restored. CorvairEd VCCA#47508 Dade City,Fl

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.