Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#435057 11/29/19 09:30 PM
19H32 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a coolant leak at the temp sensor at the back of the head. Looks like it’s coming from the wire that goes to the gauge. The sensor wire is attached to the gauge. I don’t see a way of replacing just the sensor and wire and don’t see a replacement gauge, wire, and sensor on The Filling Station. Anybody have a recommendation?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

19H32 #435064 11/30/19 10:15 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Maybe you can clean sensor where leak is and use a high temp gasget or silicone sealer to stop the leak. Just a thought!

1932 4 door Special Sedan 1916 490 Touring
19H32 #435065 11/30/19 10:22 AM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I assume your car is a 1932. That "sensor" is actually a bulb or closed vessel which contains llquid ether. As the temperature of the engine increases, the vapor pressure of the ether increases. It's attached by a very thin piece of copper tubing to the temperature gauge in the dash. The gauge in the dash is nothing more than a bourdon type pressure gauge, scaled to show temperature rather than psi.

So.......to the fix:

-- First, be VERY careful with the tube connecting the bulb with the gauge. It is quite fragile and can be broken very easily. If that happens, you immediately lose all the ether (which evaporates super quickly if not in a closed container) and the repair is quite complicated.

-- Drain the engine coolant before you begin, as you will be opening an entry into the water passages in the cylinder head.

-- The bulb is attached to the cylinder head by a two piece one-of-a-kind compression type fitting. The way to remove the bulb from the cylinder head is to very carefully unscrew the packing nut -- the one screwed into the adapter -- while holding the adapter from turning. But when you are doing so, be careful not to be turning the bulb itself because you will likely wring off the capillary tube leading to the gauge. You can keep the bulb from turning with the packing nut by lightly pushing downward on the protruding part of the bulb as you back out on the packing nut.

-- Assuming you have successfully gotten the packing nut out, you then lift out the bulb from the adapter. Usually, they are corroded in place and they can be hard to remove. Put some penetrating oil in around the bulb, give it some time, maybe gently heat it with a heat gun a couple of times, lightly tap the adapter with a hammer and it should lift out.

-- Then remove the adapter from the cylinder head -- it's just a normal pipe thread into the head. Once it's out, have a good look at its condition. They are often badly corroded and must be replaced if they are. The adapter is not just a standard pipe fitting and I don't know of anyone who is selling them. That said, most any machine shop should be able to reproduce it.

-- As for replacement gauges, the Filling Station sold them at one time, so you might call them to see if they expect to have them again. A few vendors, including me, have working used ones. They are hard to find and are therefore pricey.

Hope that helps. If you'll search here in the '29-'32 forum, you'll find quite a few old posts that will provide more information than I've given above. Good luck with the repair!

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
19H32 #435113 12/01/19 11:01 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If the problem is isolated to the sensor or its fitting and the sealant trick doesn't work, try Roy Martin, The Temperature Gauge Guy", for a reasonably priced professional rebuild of your entire unit.

172 Laurel Hill Dr.

South Burlington, VT 05403

(802) 862-6374

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
19H32 #435115 12/01/19 12:43 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I’ve found the best sealer for the temp gauge prob to be the white Teflon paste by Rectorseal. As Chip said, the fitting can get pretty corroded and the white Teflon paste seals up the pitting the best I’ve found and stays pliable enough to remove easily if needed. The special fitting for the bulb, which is pipe thread on the outside and a standard fine thread on the inside for the prob jamb plug is not readily available for some stupid reason as many GM cars use the same fitting. Inside the fitting there is a shoulder that the bulb washer sits on, then the jamb plug is tightened to seal the bulb from leaking. Often, on badly corroded fittings this shoulder is gone and the bulb leaks. If that is the case, you will definitely need a new fitting.
I have turned new ones in the past out of both steel and brass hex stock but don’t have any left. They do come up for sale from time to time, so just keep a lookout on eBay and the old car forums. Sometimes people selling used Chevy/GM heads still have the fitting in the heads and you can buy them.

19H32 #435122 12/01/19 01:25 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just a thought.... Ether would evaporate, so it could just be antifreeze running down the tube. Also, does the temp gage still work? If so, all the more reason it is not the gage.

19H32 #435128 12/01/19 03:46 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If the Recto seal doesn't work (don't like the sound of that flush ) , Roy Martin may have one of those assemblies. Photo from one of his recent jobs.

[Linked Image from content.invisioncic.com]

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.
19H32 #435148 12/01/19 10:19 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The Filling Station sells the adaptor for the temp gauge. Hendo

Hendo #435151 12/02/19 12:37 AM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by Hendo
The Filling Station sells the adaptor for the temp gauge. Hendo
Good to hear. For a while they couldn't be bought new.

19H32 #435160 12/02/19 09:39 AM
19H32 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for all the replies. I would not have guessed the adapter would be different than a regular pipe thread adapter.
I removed the heater hoses and adapter going to the heater. Put a brass adapter in and filled it back up only to have it start dripping out on the floor.
Looks like I’ll have to make a shopping list with the filling station this afternoon.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.