Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#432071 10/05/19 10:39 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

hiya folks.

My 350 carbureted engine in my '65 C10 is backfiring. As in, I'm on the highway for awhile, when I let off to slow down for some reason, like to get off at a ramp when it drops from 65-70 to around 45 or so it goes KABOOM...

Yesterday I swapped out the spark plugs and put new wires on, seems to run better but it still back fired.

Anyway, looking for reasons why a engine backfires, more things to check. This is not something I have come across before in my automotive adventures so thanks for any information.

-Woog

This was all in there when I bought it, as things have broken I've had to figure out what year is what.

details:

Engine: 5.7 L Chevrolet … truck / 1992 / 350cid / 210 hp / manual trans / RPO# L-05 / TBI(throttle body injection) vin K(Canada assembly plant)

The distributor is 1985-1987 style, based on when I had to replace the engine module under the cap the last time... that's what it worked out as...

Carburetor: Holley … Model 4160 … single pumper 600cfm.

Intake: Edelbrock Standard Performer … Dual Plane

exhaust is stock type cast iron exhaust manifolds, from there the exhaust was rebuilt at a shop about 2 years ago.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
A backfire can occur when the ignition is interrupted momentarily or when unburned gas is passed into the exhaust system and ignited usually caused by an exhaust leak at the frt exhaust pipe. When decelerating oxygen is drawn in thru the leak area causing the hot gas to ignite aka backfire.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.