Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#430373 08/28/19 08:37 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
What is the valve spring rate on a 30? What is proper valve spring height?

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
For questions regarding your 1930, and for a better response to your questions, you might want to also post in the 1929-1932 forum instead of here in the General Discussions forum which is basically for general off-topic subjects.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Steve,

JD, Has answered your question but in the 29-32 forum. He posted:

"The spring pressure on both the intake and exhaust valves is 45 pounds when the valves are closed, and 80 pounds when the valves are open.

The valve spring free length is 2 1/8"."

I have no clue as to why you had to post in another, but maybe more appropriate forum, to get such a seemingly simple reply. Go figure.

Any further information about your 1930 may find better results from being posted in the 29-32 forum.

Best wishes,

Charliecomputer

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have no clue as to why you had to post in another, but maybe more appropriate forum, to get such a seemingly simple reply. Go figure.

Charlie: If the reply was that "seemingly simple" then why didn't you answer his question?? Go figure!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
JD,

No problem. I was waiting for it. Agrin

Well, I didn't know the answer to the question but apparently you did owing to your prompt answer once the questioner posted in the suggested forum. What purpose was gained by that little forum hopping to another forum was not fathomable to me. You are much more knowledgeble on this stuff than I.

Perhaps, in tie instant case, it would have been better to have answered the question in whatever forum used by the questioner's post and then followed with an invitation/suggestion to use a better forum in the future: 29-32 and Mechanical forums come to mind.

While we are at it, I think the advice to post in a more appropriate forum could have been a little softer/gentler worded. dance

Constant policing of posts may take more time than it is worth or is warranted. I have noticed some who may believe it is their duty to instantly respond only, and not answering the question if known by the responder, to point out the error of the poster, i.e., some posters who are not so used to, and thus not yet skilled as many of us with relatively many posts are, in trying to selecting the very best forums, etc,.

Just my take on the whole thing.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I apologize for stepping in on this. There was no disrespect intended,hood

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 08/29/19 09:53 AM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Charlie: As you know there are various forums regarding specific years of cars and subjects that are used to categorize the chat site. New members that are not yet familiar with the site do, from time to time, post in the incorrect forum and various old time members on this site have made posts directing the new members to the correct or specific forum when needed. This is done basically so that the new members will get a feel for the overall function of the various forums. If we all posted different issues in the same forum then we wouldn't need all the various forums that we have.

Respectfully though, I would greatly appreciate it if, in the future, you would stop providing advice or suggestions on how my posts should be worded. Thanks and have a great day!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
JD,

All you have to do is just proofread your own posts. If it sounds like you're being harsh or speaking down to someone, then, perhaps it should be reworded. Simply put, have those who you advise see you as a friend and gentleman and not a dictator.

The one you recentently posted about editing a post was well put and I said so.

Enough said, at least by me, so let;s let it go.

Best,

Charlie computer

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Charlie: I know all about the proofreading. Again, as I have requested above, please do not advise me on how to write my posts, and I would appreciate you refraining from doing so.

Yes, enough said....as you suggested.......let's let it go.

Moderator, please lock the thread since it no longer serves any meaningful purpose.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
This thread has drifted far enough off topic as to be disruptive. Therefore I'll take the suggestion and lock the thread so we can all "let it go".

ken48
VCCA 42589

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.