Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I’ve owned my 1932 roadster for 19 years and it now needs refreshing in several areas. The engine needs a rebuild as it smokes and runs rough. It still starts easily and will idle all day in 90+ degree temperature without overheating and with a steady 5 psi oil pressure.

The canvas top is weak, and the stitching is starting to pull. The paint on the body and fenders is cracked and chipped. It was refurbished about 40 years ago and is mechanically stock … some incorrect parts were used and it was done to “driver” standards at the time. The metal is rust free and wood seems solid. The chrome and upholstery are quite presentable. With some engine work it is fine for ice cream runs or a local show. This is a complete car that you can drive and enjoy while improving.

Before I start work refreshing the ’32, I’m checking for interest in a swap for a 1937-38 Chevrolet coupe in similar condition or better. A ’37 coupe is on my bucket list and this might be the right time for me to change gears and move on to a new project. I’m looking for a “stock” vehicle only.

I would also appreciate any leads on a 37-38 coupe for sale. I’d prefer a running and driving car with a good body, but some mechanical issues are okay. I enjoy mechanical work but not so much body and paint. I don’t want to part with the ’32 until I find another vehicle. I’ll probably start work on the ’32 early next year if I can’t find a suitable replacement. I'm in Clearwater, Florida.

PS - Not sure of the best place, so I'll also post this in the "1929-32" forum and "cars wanted" forum since I know many of us just look in a favorite section.

Tom

Attached Images
DSC_1222 cropped.jpg DSC_1234 cropped.JPG DSC_1246 cropped.JPG P1070008.JPG P1070014.JPG
Last edited by Headlighter; 12/02/18 12:34 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Update - I’ve completed my changeover from 1932 to 1937. Here is a picture of my “new" 1937 Sport Coupe

I didn’t make a direct trade but ended up selling my 1932 roadster to a fellow and sold all the ’32 spare parts as a lot to second person and then I bought the coupe from a third person.
The coupe is very stock and rust free. I have many of the original sales documents and the engine has same serial number as on the bill of sale from November 1936. It was repainted and had a Hampton Coach interior kit installed around 1990 and used very little since. It should be a nice driver with some minor work.

By the way, it was black (code 210) from new and the gold body and wheel stripes that were applied nearly 30 years ago are not the correct style or color but I like the way they look on the car.

I've posted this update in the Cars Wanted forum, but putting it here also expecting some '37 owners may be interested and might only be looking at the 1937-1941 forum.

Tom

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Here is the photo (I hope). Don't know why it wasn't on the prior post.

Attached Images
P1090867R.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.