Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have been thinking of driving my 33 Master Coupe to the All Cal Meet in Bakersfield on May 16th. So I called the California Highway Patrol today and explained what I wanted to do. It told them I didn't want to drive my car over 40 mph. Its about 150 miles from Apple Valley to Bakersfield by freeway. I would need to go up over the Tehachapi mountain range part of the way and don't want to push the car hard. The farthest I've driven this car is from Apple Valley to Barstow on old route 66. The CHP told me absolutely don't do it because I will get a ticket for going too slow. The officer also told me he didn't think it would be safe to be going that slow without being rear ended.

Dennis

Last edited by Jonda1; 04/24/19 02:38 AM.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If you were planning to drive on interstates they are correct, it would be very dangerous. I have no clue about California but around here there are lots of back road options when going somewhere.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I did it one time and never again. The juice just ain’t worth the squeeze. There are too many distracted drivers as it is and adding a novelty to the mix is a recipe for adventure best avoided. The back road drive on the return trip was far more enjoyable.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Most of the Interstate highways I travel do have posted minimum speed. Typically it is 45 mph.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I recommend you drive it on the interstate. Push it a bit to travel at 45-50. No ticket and the lead foots can go around you.

Also, if you take the back roads you will create a problem. There will undoubted be a parking lot behind you. The problem is there will always be some other driver that will close the gap on you so that the third car back will have to pass two cars instead of one. No matter the opportunities for the following car to pass, they won't. On the interstate they will.

Use some white shoe polish and write in your rear window "SLOW CAR." People will respect the warning.

If the old 33 won't hum along at 45-50 then you may need to work on it a bit.

Stay off the back roads. People traveling there run their cars almost as fast as on the interstate. You will stack em up. dance

Best,

Charlie computer

Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I thank everyone for the great advice. You all said pretty much the same thing and it makes sense to me now that I've heard it. Just goes to show that I don't know squat. I would have thought going on the back roads would be best.

Dennis

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I travel the back roads all the time in my '28 truck. Crusin' at 35 is happiness! If I need to travel more than 60 miles or so, I'll trailer it close to the event and then drive it the rest of the way.

Yes, folks do creep up on my behind so I pull over occasionally to let them pass. They usually give be a big thumbs up and once in a while give a friendly toot on the horn.

In California, the slowest speed limit on the freeway is not posted generally. I asked the Highway Patrol about this and they told me that the minimum speed is 15 mph under the posted speed limit.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Folks must drive different in North Carolina. If you take the interstate keep a close eye on your mirror and be ready to take the shoulder. As an ex cop I might also add that while a minimum speed limit may be on the books, keeping just above that can, in some circumstances, get you a ticket as well. If you are impeding traffic and the observing officer feels it's dangerous they can write you for obstructing traffic even if you're driving above the minimum speed. Personal opinion is you'll be much happier and safer on the back roads.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tiny,

I disagree because:

a. No trooper is going to give you a ticket for going over the minimum speed limit. It will mean that he will have to appear in court and explain to the judge why in the h--l he did so. In most cased the trooper is on his own time when he appears in court. Is the trooper going to lie and write you a ticket for observing less speed than you are going. Not likely. On an interstate there is always the right-hand lane. Get on it and stay there as much as practical. driving

b. I do not think that going less than the minimum is a good idea. 45 is used in most states as the minimum. And is reasonable. It is fast enough for traffic behind to make adjustments to go around you. You will not unreasonably inpede traffic. dance

c. As soon as you pull off on the back roads, a new parking lot will form behind you and they will not be happy. You'll be constantly feeling their anger wizardand you'll be always looking for an emergency place to pull off and let the traffic you're holding up, go by. You'll more likely get the bird than a thumbs or a toot. bike Will too!

d. The lef-hand lane is for those from out of state to heedlessly fly down the road. auto Remember if you are in the fast lane and you are doing the speed limit there is no trooper going to give you a ticket for impeding traffic. No matter the stupid law. He may pull you over so those snow birds can get back to the far south or far north but no ticket. See the court issue in "a" above.

e. You may figure out a back road or two that will allow you to poke along but on the day you take such obscure routes there will be a touring bunch that has programed that route and they will hold up traffic from city or town for every inch of that route.

Take my advice. The interstate will not unreasonably impede traffic. Back roads will and many don't have a suitable shoulder for you to pull off for emergency repairs or to let the parking lot pass by.

If your vehicle won't maintain 45+, then trailer it. carbana

Best,

Charlie computer

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
You can assume all you want Charlie but I can tell you from personal experience that if a driver is backing up traffic they will get a minimum of a come-to-Jesus-meeting with a LEO and likely a ticket if the don't immediately rectify the situation or pull the old I-know-my-rights schtick. Having had to opportunity to attend court to defend my decisions, most departments either pay overtime or provide comp time for court. It makes no difference what the posted minimum speed limit is, anyone who drives 30-40 MPH slower than prevailing traffic just because they want to, is selfish and putting every driver in danger.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tiny,

I have my opinions and you have yours. That being said I see no point in continuing this ongoing differences.

As you surely carry more respect for your opinion than I, I concede defeat.

Notice: Everyone pay close attention to Tiny's opinion and advice on taking back roads. I, obviously, don't know what I'm talking about. dance

Best and respectively,

Charlie computer

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 04/25/19 03:05 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I take back roads. Even with my cars that can go the Interstate speed limit I don't want to push them that hard. I wouldn't even consider taking my '33 on the interstate at 50 mph. JMHO

Ed
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have a few times on tours driven on the interstate with my 32 at 50-55 MPH and no problems. Not that I would recommend it for a long trip. The traffic was rural most times and no hazards were encountered. Here in southern N.H. the interstates are crowded and travel at 70-80 MPH and there is no way I will get into that traffic. I have no problems running at 45-50 MPH either on two lane or other but I prefer to travel at 35-45 to enjoy the ride. After that the driving requires a lot more attention and is not enjoyable.

Steve D
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks again everyone. I have decided I'm not going to drive the car to Bakersfield. If anything happened on the way to or from the meet it would spoil the whole experience. I think I will just ride my Harley there and admire everyone else's cars.

Thanks,
Dennis

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Dennis,

Not so fast there, Buster! You started this thread with the notion that you were going. Now you say you ain't. Read on.

I have been beaten half to death in providing good advice about interstate and backroads. I feel like I"ve been caught in one of Uncle Eds thrashing machines and been dumped in the top of a half-full silo with more corn a-coming

Tiny has had his way with me and out of respect for him I had to cave in and swear that he was "right on" while I didn't know what I was talking about. He's a swell guy! dance

I met with some old car pals this afternoon and we took the backroads to the gathering. No sooner than we hit the road we had cars backed up and steam coming from behind us.

When the event was over, I told my pals that I was taking a four-lane back home. No problems. Of course I was driving a 1941 Special Deluxe with lots of horsepower and it was eager to go. Like 'ol Bess heading for the barn. You know.

As I sit hear recovering from the beating Tiny gave me and the support my pals gave him instead of me, I'm reminded that I don't know squat.

Now I find that I have risked fame and possible idol status but, once again and been shot down without a wing or a prayer.

Oh well, such as life.

What is the adventure of going to a meet if you don't risk anything? I hope you change your mind. Take the back roads, what the heck. It will be worth it and you'll have fond memories afterwards. laugh

Best wishes,

Charlie computer

BTW: Uncle Ed. Your lack of support is noted on this here right here instant issue. I wrote it down in indelible ink. Did too! You're usually a straight thinker. What happened? Did the missus luv2 pop you up side your noggin to get your attention and you're still recovering from the beating? Just wait until I see you! Agrin bike

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
You've got to do what you are comfortable with. If you're white nuckling everywhere you go it won't be any fun, only dangerous. Some areas are better than others and you know your local roads and routes best, as well as your car.

We just drove about 4k miles in the Western USA and I was surprised how very slow traffic was on the larger highways. I'm used to traffic flow about 30mph faster. The smaller roads and multi lanes in town seem to be where everyone was in a hurry and being unpredictable trying to get one car length in front of the next guy. Those areas scare me more than a large highway, though time of day planning is very important...

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tiny
You can assume all you want Charlie but I can tell you from personal experience that if a driver is backing up traffic they will get a minimum of a come-to-Jesus-meeting with a LEO and likely a ticket if the don't immediately rectify the situation or pull the old I-know-my-rights schtick. Having had to opportunity to attend court to defend my decisions, most departments either pay overtime or provide comp time for court. It makes no difference what the posted minimum speed limit is, anyone who drives 30-40 MPH slower than prevailing traffic just because they want to, is selfish and putting every driver in danger.
Tiny, you are 100 percent correct.
Calif is no joke, plus putting that car THAT on the freeway going that slow is a distraction and a death wish.
I bring my 39 out by early morning , still I need a spotter!, and going home @4 or 5 oclock
try to find side roads and im in So CA

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The Spotter is a very good idea. Used that method while towing weird stuff over the years to force some driving space.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Aww Charlie. we can disagree and still be friends! You take the freeway and I'll take the back roads and we will never crash with each other! LOL

BTW. Here in easy going old rural Iowa the interstate speed limit is 70 mph, I usually drive my modern cars at 75 mph and I am one of the slower cars on the road, even at 80 you will get passed. I just wouldn't feel safe at 50 or even 60 mph! We have a lot of bad wrecks on our interstates, no one will slow down even for ice and snow until they crash!

Last edited by Uncle Ed; 04/28/19 11:04 PM.

Ed
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jonda1
I thank everyone for the great advice. You all said pretty much the same thing and it makes sense to me now that I've heard it. Just goes to show that I don't know squat. I would have thought going on the back roads would be best.

Dennis
if you could travel with another car or two that would ease the driving thing and add a level of safety . I always feel better when a few members are going with me, but since I live the opposite direction, im heading home at the end on the event ( always from the LOS ANGELES area) to HUNTINTON BEACH alone, and that`s gets sketchy!
all in a car that tops out at 55mph , and sometimes I use that 55mph just to get out of the way of the crazed drivers

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Dennis,
Another option is to trailer it. If you have an adequate tow vehicle U-Haul will rent you a sturdy trailer to do the job. I trailered my 51 3200 miles across the USA with my Silverado without incident. You can rent a truck along with the trailer for not much more. That's a safer option.

BTW, in CA max speed limit for towing is 55MPH--same for commercial trucks. Unfortunately, most people ignore that and one sees a lot of swaying and/or jackknifed trailers. I avoid interstate driving also. Too many crazies. There is no posted minimum speed limit but it is true you can be ticketed for going slow. ????

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by styleline51
Hi Dennis,

BTW, in CA max speed limit for towing is 55MPH--same for commercial trucks. Unfortunately, most people ignore that and one sees a lot of swaying and/or jackknifed trailers. I avoid interstate driving also. Too many crazies. There is no posted minimum speed limit but

it is true you can be ticketed for going slow. ????
yes you can! as Tiny has put it IMPEDING TRAFFIC
if your in CALIF you know the hazards on the roads!
some times I ask my 39 to eek out a few extra MPH just to dodge them!

Last edited by 36RAGTOP; 04/29/19 09:19 PM. Reason: user friendly

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.