Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#424374 04/16/19 11:53 AM
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My car is a 1933 Master Coupe and my question is about the clutch fork guide. I'm enclosing some pictures of mine and also the parts book picture. It looks to me like someone has cut some off of the length of it and also has ground down the ridge on the top of it. I'm wondering why only the 1933 Chevy has this part. My car has had a very bad rattle in the clutch linkage, or clutch pedal since I've owned the car.
I removed the guide today and tried driving without it around the block. With the guide removed and the clutch pedal depressed it now makes a horrible knocking or rattling sound in addition to what it made before.So I guess it does need to be installed. I was hoping that with it removed it might solve the clutch pedal rattle. Because someone has modified it, it doesn't even extend into the opening in the bell housing which I assume was the function of it.
I don't know how much mine was shortened. I will try to find a muffler shop or welding shop who will be willing to add maybe an inch or so to the length of mine. If anyone has one they don't need I would like to buy it. Or maybe someone would be willing to measure theirs and give me the measurements of it with a picture.
Thanks,
Dennis

Attached Images
Clutch Fork Guide.JPG 20190415_093819 (Medium).jpg 20190415_093930 (Medium).jpg 20190415_093952 (Medium).jpg IMG_0141 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by Jonda1; 04/16/19 12:18 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Dennis,
I have a 35 Master... no idea what the purpose of that part is... my car does not have this? Obviously it is a stock item based on your parts reference. I have found that everything is there for a purpose. I checked ebay, and a couple other places, but could not find anything similar. It looks like something that could rattle.

One of your pictures shows two bolts, but looks like only one bolt holds it to the clutch fork. Where is the other bolt used?

Perhaps you have it mounted in the wrong position? Can you slide it forward into the clutch housing opening? Perhaps it serves as a dampener/anti rattle for the fork?

Just guessing... trying to help! :)

--John

John Myatt
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Dennis,
Wanted to follow-up on my note. Perhaps the top of the guide is showing evidence of wear from friction. If this is an anti-rattle device, it looks like it should be wedged into the clutch housing. After many years, it could look like this from the friction against the case.

The way it is bolted to the fork makes it appear adjustable. If it is too long to push into the clutch housing past the wear, perhaps the end needs to be trimmed off (maybe already done once before)?

Again, just trying to use shade tree logic. Perhaps one of the very knowledgeable gents will know the answer! :)

--John

John Myatt
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just a thought, if you measure the picture of the clutch fork and multiply by a percentage that yield the true dimension of the fork then use that percent to give you the dimension of the guide then you will know if yours has been trimmed.

George M.
Jonda1 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
All good ideas. Thanks. Although the idea given by George is way beyond my figuring out. I wouldn't have a clue how to do the percentage thing. Mine definitely has been either broken off or cut off to shorten it and it has also been ground down. It still has grinding marks on it. I haven't given up on it. As a temporary fix I have taken a piece of rubber high pressure power steering hose and wrapped it around the clutch fork and secured it with a hose clamp. And it has definitely "muted" the rattle. The rattle is still there, but definitely much quieter now. I will fix the stock guide and reinstall it as soon as I can.
And again I thank you for your suggestions.
Here is a picture of my temporary fix:

Attached Images
20190417_101819_Burst01 (Medium).jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.