Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#423690 04/03/19 12:19 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello. I have a 29 Chevy and it look as if the armored cable has a short . I have a working lock and key but can't get the cylinder out . I see a small hole on the side of the case . Is that a hole for a paper clip to push a pin or button ? I need to get this car drivable to move around if needed . I see from past posting this armored cable can be a problem to work on and a little $$ to get a new one . Is it possible just to bypass this for now ? Buy a simple universal auto ignition switch on/off . Run the power off the amp gage to it and run the hot wire from the switch to the coil and a wire from the neg side of the coil to the distributor . Use a small bolt out of the distributor to connect the points , condenser and coil wire . Would a ballast resistor be needed ? Thank you for any help .

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Is that a hole for a paper clip to push a pin or button ?
You can use a pointed object to push down on the button that is visible in the half-moon hole. While pushing down on the button turn the key all the way to the right and pull slightly. The lock cylinder should come out.

Is it possible just to bypass this for now ?
Yes.

Would a ballast resistor be needed ?
No.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.