Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#423336 03/28/19 07:33 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greetings,
I have a 5-window coupe with a roll down window in the rear that the regulator has gone bad and needs to be removed. A little helpful advice is needed for the removal of the roll down mechanism and glass. The upholstery has been removed from around the window and I have unscrewed the regulator board from the body below the window but the regulator arm is still attached to the channel at the bottom of the glass. Cannot seem to get to the arm from the rumble seat side to remove.
Any advice on where to go from this point?
Next step would be to unfasten the window felt channels from the sides and tip the window out like you would do to remove the door glass but not sure. Could not find a clear answer in the Fisher Body Manual and the service manual does not seem to address the rear window?
HELP - this may be more than I bargained for!

Thanks to all!
John

John Lanning
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Shouldn't you be able to lower the whole window assembly straight down, wood and all. Then take the winder mechanism apart. Some have a single contact that makes the window go up and down. Others have a dual contact.

Put one in my 1935 coupe 30 years ago out of a 34 master 3 window and never had to take it out or service it.

I believe that I & I reproductions in California offers new glass rubber rollers to keep the window going straight up with slight pressure on glass.

mike lynch

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Mike for the suggestion. I will try to lower the regulator all the way down to see if that works....puzzled by this one.
JmL

John Lanning
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Oh there should also be a trough metal part under the window to trap and let the water run to the ground. This should come off first.

mike lynch

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Quick update on the rear glass removal...right or wrong way but I wound up loosing up the regulator panel and then tilting the glass inward with the side channels and then the whole assembly glass and all came out. I tried to aceess the regulator to disconnect the glass from inside the rumble seat area but the metal panel that enclosed the glass was installed in such a way that it could not be removed.
All is fixed those and installed (much easier going back).
John

John Lanning

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.