Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Deleted offensive content.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Originally Posted by keroppi
:

On the DIY side it seems the ring and pinion can be purchased for $350. Member Mothertrucker has this offering:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/ring-pinion-jpg.2616096/

Alan

Correction:

The price on the 3.55:1 Truck {& Car } R&P gears has been lowered to $325 W/FREE U.S. shipping until the first of the year. xmastree gifts gsanta

We still have them "Stacked to the Ceiling" in our warehouse.

Attached Images
ring pinion 5150.jpg
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
No "heavy equipment" necessary for changing a ring gear and pinion. I did it by my self at home when I was younger (75) and a jack and good jack stands were the largest things I used.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 11/11/18 09:55 PM.

Gene Schneider
keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
No "heavy equipment" necessary for changing a ring gear and pinion. I did it by my self at home when I was younger (75) and a jack and good jack stands were the largest things I used.
That is what I originally thought.

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mothertrucker
Correction:

The price on the 3.55:1 Truck {& Car } R&P gears has been lowered to $325 W/FREE U.S. shipping until the first of the year. xmastree gifts gsanta
Nothing wrong with that!

I have a couple problems to sort out first, but it's definitely on my todo list.

Alan

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Mothertrucker, they arrived and look in good order.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The ratio change will make a difference and my experience finding the new bearings to go with it will be your next fun exercise which comes in before the expensive part.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
If everything goes as planned.....
We will be offering the bearing & seal installation kit for the car & truck at a fraction of the price that the big vendors charge.

Stay Tuned.

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If everything goes as planned.....
We will be offering the bearing & seal installation kit for the car & truck at a fraction of the price that the big vendors charge.

Stay Tuned.
You've got my ears, err...eyes! wink

Alan

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Still researching.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I think they think you have more money than sense and plucked a number out of the air then added 50%. I recently did both rear axle and 4 speed trans in less than 2 days so I doubt $1400 is reasonable.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
I think they think you have more money than sense and plucked a number out of the air then added 50%. I recently did both rear axle and 4 speed trans in less than 2 days so I doubt $1400 is reasonable.
Tony
I don't think that's so bad.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"Ray,

Just realized what you were implying, I *THINK*.

If I buy new bearings in one of the install kits, I am most likely getting chinese bearings.

In this regard you're saying to look for used or NOS on ebay, is that correct? (if needed)

I kind of feel like you were saying, maybe the bearings are ok."

Hi Alan,

What I'm suggesting is that in any rear axle you open up the bearings are likely to look fine and have a lot more life left in them. Another example of the longevity of quality bearings is the front wheel bearings on my '71 Dodge van. That van has 362,000 miles on it and I've serviced the front wheel bearings at the shop manual recommended 24,000 mile intervals since the van was new. They are made in USA Timken bearings and every time I see them I'm amazed at how they still look like new parts. Made in China bearings would turn to mush long before they got anywhere near 362,000 miles.

Bearings made in China and third world countries are junk to put it bluntly. But they are cheap and easy to get and that's why most vendors sell them. American bearings are still out there,

Ray

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Is it a question of cost or just simply "I'll replace them while I am in there?"

I also ran an old Mopar up to an absurd mileage on the original Timken front wheel bearings. At about 375k, no issues.

I have also recently taken apart 3 mid-30s Chevy rearends, and found a lot of bad bearings. All 3 of these axles were ready to grenade due to bearing problems. I think it is very likely you will run into some shot bearings.

No need to replace them with new Chinese ones if they aren't shot. You just won't know until you get in there and inspect them closely. My axle still isn't assembled. I got all NORS American bearings on Ebay. It took a few weeks. Since it sounds like you might have someone else do this, it is probably time to figure out if they are readily available, and maybe go ahead and get them.

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by brino
Bearings made in China and third world countries are junk to put it bluntly. But they are cheap and easy to get and that's why most vendors sell them. American bearings are still out there
Understood.

keroppi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Seems the installation kit is needed.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm looking to by a 3.55:1 R&P set from Joe at Mother Trucker but somehow can't track him down. Can someone provide me with his contact information? Thanks,
Bill

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I believe Joe's email address is
Code
mothertruckeraz@aol.com

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dean,
Thanks for the address, I'll shoot Joe an email.
Bill

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yesterday I received my R&P set from Mother Trucker.
The ordering and purchase went well. M.T. answered all my questions and even provided links (Davestechnet and Stovebolt forum tips) on the removal and installation. Definitely a positive purchase experience.
Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.