Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#418820 12/13/18 09:15 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Last Friday I mated my ”˜32 engine and transmission together and was gratified to find that I had aligned the clutch plate correctly because everything slid together just fine. I hoisted the assembly up and installed it in the frame. On another thread here I asked for advice on mounting the radiator. I’m now on the right track with that, but realized that it looked like it would be difficult to install the front splash apron after the radiator was in place. So I decided to install the splash apron now.

I needed to paint the splash apron (I had already done the body and prep work on it). Two days ago it was warm enough here to shoot paint, and as long as I was doing black, I painted the service brake cross shaft and rods also.

Today I installed the brake cross shaft and “What the (expletive deleted) is this?” The lever on the shaft didn’t line up with the pedal. The pedal that came with the car has a kind of yoke that loops around the clutch pedal and the hole for the clevis for the pull rod is outboard of the clutch pedal. It is obviously wrong, as it’s off line by 4 and a half inches, but I didn’t know any better.

I’ll post in the “wanted” section, but does anyone here have a known ”˜32 pedal they’d be willing to part with?

Thanks. Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The brake pedal you are describing is a RHD brake pedal with the yoke to go around the clutch pedal.
That could also mean that your clutch pedal, and maybe the cross shaft under the chassis frame is RHD also.

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 12/13/18 10:30 PM. Reason: info added

JACK
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Jack. I suspected that that might be the case. This car came up from Argentina in the early ”˜80s and I’ve found other things that were just moved to the left with no consideration as to whether it was safe or even work. I can’t imagine this car being driven with some of he things I’ve discovered.

The shaft and mounting bracket fit on my LHD bell housing OK and the clutch fork and throw out bearing seem to be right.

These last several months I’ve thought that the illustrations in the shop manual showing the pedal and rods looked different than what I had, but didn’t really give it much credence. I thought it was another error (kind of like the wiring diagram that shows the brake light switch wired into the gas tank sending unit wire)

When I used the “search” function to see if there were other posts regarding ”˜32 pedals, I noticed a couple of people looking for RHD parts. If anyone sees this and still needs this pedal, it’s theirs for postage

Tom

Last edited by TomLewis; 12/13/18 11:05 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have several sets of pedals that look just like the ones on my 31. Busy time right now but if you want to check if 31 is the same and pm or email me a phone number I can send some pictures.

Dave

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Dave. I’m sorry. I should have put the part number in my post. According to the Master Parts Price List for 1929 to 1932, the part number for the pedal I need is 357451 and it is the same from ”˜30 to ”˜32.

Tom

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have replied to your parts wanted ad, and I do have one. Do you want-need- the clutch release pedal?

Last edited by m006840; 12/14/18 02:06 PM.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to those who replied. What a quick response and pedals are on the way! It now looks like nothing I had (pedals, shaft, mounting bracket, is correct for LHD)

Tom

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Tom, I have sent you a PM about the RHD pedals and parts. thanks I would like them.

JACK

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.