Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
POSTED BY WEBMASTER:

My name is Pete Costisick and I write the 'Delivery Designs' column for "Vintage Truck" magazine. VCCA was very helpful to me a few months ago with an accurate Chevy truck identification request and I'm in need of your expertise once again for a future column on early 1930's refrigerated delivery trucks.

Is the Hercules-bodied truck in the attached photo a Chevrolet? The design of the hood louvres makes me at least a little doubtful about the truck being a Chevy. If the truck actually is a Chevrolet, is it a 1932 or a 1933?

Just like my first inquiry on a different truck a few months ago, I'll be certain to acknowledge VCCA's help in identifying this truck when I submit my column to the "Vintage Truck" editor.

An e-mail response would be greatly appreciated. Sincere thanks for your help!

Pete Costisick

Attached Images
1-1.jpg

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
These illustrations are artist created so don't necessarily depict 100% accurate production vehicles. My opinion is the truck would be a 1932 or possibly a very late '31. The pierced disc wheels were production with the introduction of the M series trucks in late '31. The majority of 1931 trucks had solid disc wheels. The hood can be either '31 or '32 as it has the "candy cane" hood latches and louver count and position. It is what most of us call the "early" 1931 hood. It was common for commercial body companies to only change the easily recognized parts (bodies wheels) in their illustrations and not the hoods, lights, etc from previous year illustrations.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I defer to Chipper's opinion about the clues to the exact year.

I have a 1929 Hercules brochure that gives some more hints that the truck in the picture is indeed a Chevrolet.

Attached are a couple of scans from that brochure.

Cheers, Dean

Attached Images
TopPage(sml).jpg Model1928(sml).jpg

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.