Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I’m still looking for a correct steering box for my ”˜32. The pitman arm I have has a splined hole that I measure at about .81 inches at the nut end (I assume there is some taper going back toward the box, but it doesn’t look like much)

I have a line on a steering box in NY, but before I buy it and pay for shipping I’d like to know if it is correct. The seller says the shaft is about 7/8 inches on the splines (He’s just measuring with a ruler) Can anyone measure and tell me what measurement is correct for the diameter of the steering box output shaft on the splines at the nut end?

Of course, if anyone here has what is for sure a ”˜32 steering box in good condition, I’m still looking to buy.

This whole situation came about after I had sent the steering box that was on my car when I bought it off to Lares Corp for rebuild. It wasn’t til after I got the box back that I noticed the illustration in the shop manual that showed the pitman arm I had was installed backwards. Then I investigated and the whole thing is wrong.

I have about $500 ($379 for rebuild, $120 for shipping both ways) invested in a steering box that is useless to me. My wife says just haul the whole car down to the end of the driveway and let the roving scrap metal scroungers take it away. At this point I’d lose about $25,000

I’m not quite ready to do that, because that would mean I let an old car beat me and so far, that hasn’t happened in this lifetime.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks in advance.

Tom

I

Last edited by TomLewis; 10/20/18 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The splined end of my '32 Pitman arm appears to be 3/4" with the inboard end approx 15/16. Others here may correct me.

We all have set backs like yours or much worse at times. Those are the ones the wife doesn't need to know about. laugh

If it ain't broke…..fix it 'til it is.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.