Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a quick question regarding the proper adjustment of the brake cross shaft....following the instructions given on Bill's 31' site - step 2 says to "loosen the cross-shaft bracket nuts and set the shaft brackets vertically by adjusting the pedal brace rod. Tighten the cross-shaft bracket nuts."

My question is when the cross-shaft bracket nuts that hold the shaft assembly to the frame are tightened - is the assembly then held tight in the vertical position or is the shaft bracket assembly still able to swing forward and back until the brake rods are installed. Even when tightened the brackets are loose which does not make sense to me, I am thinking there is an issue here and I need to make sure the assembly is set vertically and cannot move..

Appreciate the helpful advice...
John

John Lanning
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
The brake cross shaft has two functions. The primary one is to pull the rods and cables with as much leverage (therefore less pedal pressure) as possible. The other is to compensate for the differences in the individual wheel adjustment. So the arms need be 90 degrees from the rod or cable when the shoes are contacting the drums. The side supports need to be able to move forward and back to compensate for adjustment differences.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I purchased the brake adjustment tool from the Filling Station and have used it now on three cars following the directions supplied. Brakes on all work great.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you very much for the helpful advice. Seems the cross shaft indeed needs to have some free travel as Chipper pointed out. I was able to borrow from my friend, a brake adjustment gauge so all this along with 2 new front brake cables, I have my work cut out for me.
John

John Lanning

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.