Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#413977 09/02/18 07:51 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Who has tips for installing the chrome strip down the center of the hood to connect the two halves and installing the hood on the car without scratching everything? Thanks!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Don't know about the chrome strip, but installing the hood use masking tape on the fenders and cowl. Also about four friends to help and some moving blankets.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I was afraid of that! Thanks for the reply.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I re-installed the hood on my '37 by myself. It took some finesse but I did it with no problems or damage.

Getting the hood halves together with the chrome strip was probably the more difficult step. I had a table-top as my work surface. I installed the strip on one half which of course was easy. I had a couple of furniture pads (cheap at Harbor Freight) to cover the table. I then used a few towels and a couple of the grip type clamps to hold that half on the table. I let the chrome strip hang over the edge.

I then slid the other hood half into the chrome strip starting at the rear of course. I did put a light coating of silicone on the strip and the lip of the hood so things slid easily. The only trick part was holding the hood half level and aligned with the chrome strip so everything slid together.

To install the hood I used a trick that another forum member suggested. Boy did it work great!

I put a folded furniture pad along the center line of the hood while it was sitting on the table. I then used a couple of light duty bungee cords to hold the 2 halves in an open (folded up) position using he thickness of the furniture pad as a stop.. Then I picked up the hood from the sides near the front and carried it over to the car. I slid the rear support into the hole and then let the front rest on the radiator cover.

I agree that it would be easier with 2 people. I am a fairly strong person so I could handle the size and weight of the parts. 2 people is all you need. The bungee cord trick really helps.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have never heard of that method before. Sounds like the way to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with the above. Rusty mentions putting silicone on the strip and the lip of the hood. Before that make sure that the contact surfaces are as smooth as possible. I dragged a piece of scouring pad/steel wool through the hood first. You then use silicone and install the strip on one half of the hood as mentioned and make sure that the strip turns with no interference. Take it off and install it on the other half and check that likewise. If there is any grabbing after installation the strip can tear across behind the front mount or in front of the rear. Never push on the nose as it can cause the strip to buckle.You guys are lucky as you can buy a new strip. Perhaps your strips are now stainless, not plated mild steel. Our cars have a strip that looks exactly the same but has different dimensions and no-one is making reproductions.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks so much for posting! My '38 hood wasn't attached at the firewall, and every time you lifted one hood, the other one kicked up about half-way. I used your bungee cord method and with my two daughters helping, was able to slide the hood onto the firewall "hook" end with no trouble. Thanks!

Mark Owen
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have had the hood off my 38 a number of times to work on various things. I have not separated the two haves. I use a couple of 1x2s , some bungee cords and an electric winch on the ceiling to lift it up in the open position. It then stays up at the ceiling until I want to install it again.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.