Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41211 04/12/05 01:47 PM
crab33 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have 1969 Camro with a 1998 LS1 out of a corvette. The motor has a corvette power steering pump. The power steetring pump seems to not put out any power at an idle when you rev the motor the wheels will steer easy. when the weather was cold the steering was easy until the oil heated up then it was hard to turn the wheel. Can the preasure be set on that pump? Is there a heavier power steering oil that I use? Is there a different pump I can use?

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

#41212 04/12/05 03:51 PM
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The 1998 Corvettes have a steering system called "Speed Sensitive Steering". It sounds to me that you may have a mis-match of components and are lacking the correct Electronics/Hydraulics to make it function as intended. What Speed Sensitive Steering does is reduce the Power Assist at normal operating speeds for better driver road feel and increases the power assist at low speeds for better mobility (ease of handling and parking). Also, the '98 Vette uses a rack and pinion steering gear system, and unless you've changed it, your 69 Camaro has the old style 800 Steering Gear system. If your steering system, outside of the power steering pump, is still the original, I'd recommend that you install the original power steering pump. That should make life a lot easier. The 1998 Corvettes also had another option available called "Active Handling" which I doubt that your donor car had, but if it did, there's a whole different set of hardware/software issues involved with that steering system.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.