Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#410583 07/02/18 12:26 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I noticed that the latest G&D featured a very nice but lowly respected (relative to desirability, at least, on the cover and with a write up inside.

Now here is the subtle rub, for some, I think. There are a heap of modified, street rods, et al, out there to fill many a page on the G&D with their super, overdone and amazing workmanship. But, rather than choose one of those to feature, the G&D chose a Chevette. Holy Mackerel! Can you believe it?

Now I realize that I am assuming that there were alternates available to feature including some of those mentioned above. Be that as it may. The point is and I express it as a question: Did the G&D send a signal/message to our friends here on Chatter that says original trumps over all others, now and forever.

Please, you modifiers and street rodders, i love and appreciate you all. luv2 Especially your dues/subscription. Why some of my best friends are Street Rodders. Are too!

Charlie computer

BTW: I am snuggled up in my bunker. I'm waiting for it. Am too!

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
As a kid , I had a Chevette. I was pretty darn proud of it. In fact some of my friends didn't even have a car. They were so envious.

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I bought one when the first gas crisis came along. Chevrolet should be ashamed of that piece of ... Anyway I got rid of it as soon as I could. I bought a full size Chevrolet convertible the last year they produced them. Back in the seventies. 1975 maybe.

It too was a piece of ...

GM and all the other U.S. makers have learned a thing or two about quality from the Europeans (mostly Germany) and Japan. U.S. cars now rival all the others. dance

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Charlie computer

BTW: I have access to the internet down here in the bunker. I installed a couple lengths of pump pipe for ventilation and communication. I left the missus way up there with a telescope and instructions to be ever vigilant and if she sees any missiles approaching to yell down the tube "Incoming! I have a trap door down here that drops me so far down that I'll be singing "Waltzing Matilda." when I finally come out. My arrival will improve the intellect in both places. Will too! Or some say. I have met Ian King and several Vietnam War era pilots. So yeah! Agrin

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Great car with the diesel engine.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Chevette was a GERMAN car. It was a GM Opel and was as good as any car made at that time.
There are many shapes and sizes of Chevrolets and we have to learn to love them all just like our kids.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
We worked with a guy that had a Chevette. I frankly don't remember how many miles he put on it before he and it retired. Know it was at least 150k miles. It was not fast but was reliable.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The G&D features what the members send in to them. If you want to see articles about '41's, fire up the old tele-type machine and send in your story and pictures. They might even throw a pic on the cover if you can get the missus to set down the binoculars and pose saucily across the front fender...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
As I see it the Chevette was sold under the Chevrolet banner so it qualifies as a VCCA vehicle therefore I cannot see any reason a Chevette shouldnt be featured in the G + D.
I realise Charlie is only trying to be funny but I consider it a very poor attempt like a lot of his other posts.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
A friend of mine that worked at GM's Truck and Bus plant here in Dayton back in the 80's had a little silver Chevette. That was the little car that could. That thing had well over 200k on it, he drove it everywhere and spared the miles on his Monte.

Jeff

1925 Superior K 4 Dr Sedan
1966 C10
2003 Silverado 1500 HD
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Any significant Chevy, original,correctly restored,barn find etc etc is fine, on the cover or a feature in the magazine, is fine with me. Just keep the modified ones inside the mag or better yet not at all! Ed VCCA #47508 Dade City,Fl

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by corvaired
Any significant Chevy, original,correctly restored,barn find etc etc is fine, on the cover or a feature in the magazine, is fine with me. Just keep the modified ones inside the mag or better yet not at all! Ed VCCA #47508 Dade City,Fl

iagree and amen ! Perfect thoughts.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I friend of mine in college had a new Chevette with a manual transmission (graduation present), and at the time I thought it was a neat little car. The survival rate on these machines is very low, as they were never perceived as collectable, and most of them ended up being recycled for scrap metal. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road, it has probably been decades.

Having a Chevette featured in G&D brings back memories for a lot of us, and that is a good thing!

Last edited by ZigZagZ; 07/03/18 12:44 PM.

2001 Z-28
Arctic White 6-Speed
No Options
https://www.ChevroletBrothers.com/

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The Chevette along with the Corvair and the Vega are all cars that should be celebrated in vintage car circles as fantastic feats of engineering and design. How about the Chevrolet sold GEO-METRO

They mostly got scrapped , because they were junk grade to begin with .

Chevrolet should hang its head in disgrace for foisting such outright crap on the buying public.

Theres a very good reason why the market share of Chevrolet and GM is below 15%. They have sold so much corporate vehicle crap to the public and people now drive Japanese and European cars, because they will not deal with them anymore.

A driving trip thru either the eastern Canada to florida highway route or down the core on 75 out of Detroit to florida , is flooded with foreign non big 3 cars..

mike lynch

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
"I realize Charlie is only trying to be funny but I consider it a very poor attempt like a lot of his other posts."

Tony,

I don't know what part of the two instant posts prompted the above cited sentence but it doesn't matter because I regret that some of my nonsense isn't always fitting. I apologize.

More than likely it was the thing about improving the intellect. I was merely trying to be funny by borrowing a line from Will Rogers when he said something similar about Oklahomans and Californians back in our dust bowl days. I'm not sure. Anyway that was not too good and I regret it.

Anyway, have liked all the Australians I have ever met. Still do. Ian Kings visited me some years ago when he was making a parts buying tour here in the states.

Then too, there is little sweeter on the ears than the voice of Mirusia Louwerse with the music of Andre Rieu's orchestra. When she sings "Botany Bay," "I am Australian", and "Waltzing Matilda" I feel as though I have died and gone to heaven. (I know. Fat chance of that, huh?)

I don't know if they have performed "The fields of Athenry (sp) or not but I would like to hear them perform it, also,

My first tour in Vietnam was at Voung Tau. There was an Australian Caribou Company (Difference was that their planes had no black radar nose cones in front) there in addition to the U.S. one I flew for. It seems they always had a kangaroo stencil on board and whenever they got a chance to spray one on the nose on our Caribous they would do it. Seems they were always quite sneaky about the paint job and got a big kick when we discovered it. Great guys.

I have seen the footage of WW1 disaster in Turkey which matched to the music of "Waltzing Matilda. I have great respect for your troops there and their dedicated effort. I read a novel recently about two sisters that served as nurses during that campaign. I can't remember the title of it. If you or someone else does I would like to know the title so I could get a copy for my small library.

So the point is this: I regret it when my stupidity rules my fingers and they go an do something not so respectful or acceptable. Please forgive. I'll try to do better. Will too!

May God bless you and :Australia:

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
"I realize Charlie is only trying to be funny but I consider it a very poor attempt like a lot of his other posts."

Tony,

I don't know what part of the two instant posts prompted the above cited sentence but it doesn't matter because I regret that some of my nonsense isn't always fitting. I apologize.

More than likely it was the thing about improving the intellect. I was merely trying to be funny by borrowing a line from Will Rogers when he said something similar about Oklahomans and Californians back in our dust bowl days. I'm not sure. Anyway that was not too good and I regret it.

Anyway, have liked all the Australians I have ever met. Still do. Ian Kings visited me some years ago when he was making a parts buying tour here in the states.

Then too, there is little sweeter on the ears than the voice of Mirusia Louwerse with the music of Andre Rieu's orchestra. When she sings "Botany Bay," "I am Australian", and "Waltzing Matilda" I feel as though I have died and gone to heaven. (I know. Fat chance of that, huh?)

I don't know if they have performed "The fields of Athenry (sp) or not but I would like to hear them perform it, also,

My first tour in Vietnam was at Voung Tau. There was an Australian Caribou Company (Difference was that their planes had no black radar nose cones in front) there in addition to the U.S. one I flew for. It seems they always had a kangaroo stencil on board and whenever they got a chance to spray one on the nose on our Caribous they would do it. Seems they were always quite sneaky about the paint job and got a big kick when we discovered it. Great guys.

I have seen the footage of WW1 disaster in Turkey which matched to the music of "Waltzing Matilda. I have great respect for your troops there and their dedicated effort. I read a novel recently about two sisters that served as nurses during that campaign. I can't remember the title of it. If you or someone else does I would like to know the title so I could get a copy for my small library.

So the point is this: I regret it when my stupidity rules my fingers and they go an do something not so respectful or acceptable. Please forgive. I'll try to do better. Will too!

May God bless you and :Australia:

Charlie computer

Charlie, you are an origional Gem, I enjoy reading all your posts, funny or not..keep it comming and dont be too concerned about Tony, he is obviously abit to sensitive guy, his feminine side trying to break through at times.

Last edited by blueyAU; 07/09/18 08:34 PM. Reason: checking on spelling

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
This thread has not only gone off topic, but has become abusive and bullying toward other members. Not permitted by Forum Rules. Therefore this thread is now locked.

ken48

ken48
VCCA 42589

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.