Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have purchased the Duco Color specs from the Filling Station and have a couple of questions

The roadsters, today, are among the most desirable body styles to restore. Many people jazz them up with accessories and paint colors and wide whitewall tires to give them a sporty look. When these cars were new, though, they were the least expensive of the whole line. Basic, no creature comforts transportation. Were any shipped from the factory without pinstriping or piping in the top? I am trying to restore a roadster that was originally exported to Argentina and came back to the U.S. In the '80s.

The body is gorgeous. The wood seems perfect. I would love to do it in basic black --- black body, black interior, black convertible top, black wheels and black wall tires and present it as it might have looked for the person who bought it in 1932 as transportation only.

Has this been done before? My antique-car-experience has mostly been with Studebakers. Studebaker told buyers up front (in the '30s) that black was the standard color and if another one of their "optional" colors was ordered, there was a $10 charge. Did Chevrolet do that, or did buyers have to choose pinstripe and wheel colors based on the Duco Color specs?

Black has always been the most difficult color to paint. The body work has to be perfect as every little ding or wave shows through. I think I can do black on this car and be successful.

I'm also pragmatic enough to know that I really don't want to do anything that would adversely affect the value of the finished product. Is there a market for cars finished in basic black?

Thanks. Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Seeing that no one has replied I'll throw in my two cents worth. Black would be my last choice when looking for a car of that vintage. I am sure there are others who would prefer it but I think Dupont earned their reputation from supplying all the bright colors that were used in that era. If it were mine and I was going to keep it I would paint it a color I liked that was correct for the model. If I was going to sell it soon then I would paint it one of the more common bright colors other than black/ red-green-or blue.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.