Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Some here on the Chat have read about my woes with breaking a cylinder head while attempting to press out valve guides.

I am pleased to report that my wanted ads in G&D, here on the Chat, and on the HAMB have produced results. Bob Marx called one of his customers who Bob thought had a head I could use and that gentleman had a '33 head that he then had magnafluxed. There were some minor cracks, but I bought it knowing that. Thank you to Bob Marx and J Cross.

At the same time, a man in Michigan responded to my ad in G&D with a '32 head that had but one small crack and fairly badly eroded exhaust seats on a couple of cylinders.

I took both heads to David Tidmore of Casting Repair Service in Tyler, TX. David checked both heads and, while both were repairable, the '32 was best. David repaired the crack, installed inserts in the eroded seats, cut the other seats, installed new valve guides and planed the surface. All for what I considered a reasonable price.

David has been doing this in Tyler since the early seventies. He plans to retire in a couple of years and has cut his working hours down to Tuesday through Friday. His phone number is 903-592-7195. If you have a head or other casting that needs repair, I would recommend him.

What is cool about the '32 head I found is that it has a casting date of E 2 2 (Monday, May 2, 1932). My engine block has a casting date of D 29 2 (Friday, April 29, 1932) I can't imagine GM working weekends in the depth of the Depression, so I assume that those were consecutive manufacturing days.

I now have a good '32 head and a repairable '33 for backup. I have valves and correct length push rods for both.

Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Good update Tom,
I have also just looked at my 1931 cylinder heads, five that I looked at all have cracks, I have contacted a cylinder head service here "down Under" and was informed that they can repair most cracks. It is a good reminder that these parts are getting harder to find, so be careful about what gets thrown into the scrap metal bin, and ends up as Hyundai.s.

JACK
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Tom,
Do you still have the Cylinder head from the 1933? I am in need of one. Please let me know by emailing me at hnathj@optonline.net. If you still have it please let me know what the casting # is as there were two different motors for 1933.
John

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by magician
Tom,
Do you still have the Cylinder head from the 1933? I am in need of one. Please let me know by emailing me at hnathj@optonline.net. If you still have it please let me know what the casting # is as there were two different motors for 1933.
John
Cylinder casting number for 1933 Master is 836961 and for 1933 standard the parts book indicates the part number (600568) is stenciled on.
Regards

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
John --- Did you get the e-mail with pictures that I sent last week? I received neither an acknowledgement nor reply.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.