Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Last week I ran up to Oklahoma to pick up a '32 engine that along with a 4-door body shell and axle-less chassis had sat in a field for many, many years. Typical farm vehicle. --- jury-rigged fixes, plenty of baling wire, run it until it simply won't run anymore and abandon it in a field.

My only real purpose in getting the engine was for the rocker arm supports. When the rocker cover was removed, they were intact. I've already sent the rocker arms themselves off for rebuild. The head was a '31 and that has also already been cleaned and magnafluxed. I'll keep the block because I think that it is probably salvageable.

The point of this post is to ask: what else should I be saving from this engine that might be in short supply that others might be able to use? Crankshaft? Camshaft? timing gears? Oil pump? Internal oil lines? Con rods? Bearing caps?

In pulling the engine from the chassis, we had been at it for about 15 minutes when the skunk that had been living underneath (and of course, we didn't know about) decided it was time to go elsewhere and we didn't get sprayed as it left. I had already made a joke about how much noise we were making and that if there were any snakes that we would have chased them off. That skunk sure could have put an end to any engine pulling and a 900 mile round trip could have been a disaster.

Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Tom, in my opinion, some of the things from a '32 engine that are in short supply include:

-- Spark plug wire holder brackets
-- Valve covers
-- Heads - free of cracks
-- Working Temperature Gauges
-- Support brackets for oil pressure gauge line
-- Air Cleaners
-- Oil Distributors
-- Good solid unmangled oil pans
-- Delco-Remy Generator Cutout Switches
-- Exhaust port sleeves

There are some others, of course, but those come to mind initially.

Hope that helps....glad you're not skunky.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
iagree

If i could I would take the entire engine assembly w/ trans !!

figure anything and almost everything that bolts to the block

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Tom,

If you don't have room for the block and its parts, offer it for sale. I understand that Fastenal will ship it on a pallet for a reasonable fee.

As the interest in this thread suggests, people think it is worth saving, so they might buy it from you.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Tom,
Please save as much as you can. If possible, don't trash it. One day, some day, in the next 100 years, someone might need it.
Let’s run out of fuel, rather than run out of parts, which we might have kept.
Regards
Chris

Regards,
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.