Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#408162 05/18/18 01:57 PM
Joneses Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Been trying to find a kit for putting the dated safety etching on car glass. Any ideas?

Randy
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I don't have an answer, but I am also in need of replacing the original glass (with safety glass) in all 4 doors of my 1937 Master Deluxe. Another club member told me Classic Glass (http://www.classicflatglass.com) is a good source, but I can't recommend them myself. I may also seek out a local glass shop. In this later approach, which I've successfully done before, I take the original glass to the shop and request that it be replicated in new material, same thickness.

DoubleClutch
Joneses Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Have done both with good results, sometimes a little fine tuning is necessary but in both cases no SAFTY bug was on the glass. I have good art work for the bug but can’t find anyone to make the stencil, it is so small.

Randy
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I have a connection with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. I'll inquire about how this might be done. I didn't realize the original glass in 1937 had safety markings (bugs). Do you know what year Chevrolet started this?

DoubleClutch
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If possible I would love to see a picture of the bug.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Coupe
1953 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than ride in a Ferd.
Joneses Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Can do if someone tells me how. I took some shots of the bug and had a print shop clean it up and put it on disk.

Randy
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There are two methods to put the logo and date (bug?) on glass. Originally hydrofluoric acid or hydrogen fluoride (gas) was used to etch glass. It is highly corrosive and hazardous to handle. Exposure even if brief causes painful deep chemical burns. Can be fatal (like dead) if inhaled. The process generally involves coating the glass with wax or similar impervious material with only the part to be etched exposed. The glass is put into an air tight cabinet and the or liquid introduced for a short time eating into the bare glass.

The other is grit blasting. The grit can be fine sand or other abrasive. Generally a "mask" of metal or tough paper or tape with the desired logo, date, etc cutout is placed on the glass and the abrasive sprayed on the area. Only takes relatively low pressure and short time to "etch" the glass. Very much like screen printing so, companies that prepare the screens might also be able to make the "mask".

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I would think anyone who does the wedding gifts like etched champagne glasses and similar gifts can make the mask for you and then you will need a small hand held blasting unit like Harbor Freight sells. Or just have them do your glass.

Joneses Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I think etching paste is fairly common, it’s the stencil that’s hard to come by. Some years ago I saw an ad on line for a system to make stencils with a special paper and some kind of light box. Couldn’t decide if it was a con or not. Big investment if it didn’t work.

Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.