Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40750 08/02/06 09:40 PM
homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
got a strange problem with my 63 nova ss. 194 cu. in. origional rochester rp carb. i hear a major hissing coming from the vacume line that leads to the advance. i check the advance, no leak. i figure i have a pin hole in the steel line that goes to the advance. i remove it and replace it with vacume line. no difference. i replace the advance as a maintence item, figuring it is the origional, no difference. i also notice that if i pinch the line 10 inces or so from the carb. the hiss persists, but again , no holes in the new line. if i pinch the line close to the carb. the hissing is gone. sure sounds like the vacume line is bad, ive since replaced it twice, it isnt bad,,, anbody got a clue on this one?.. kinda driving me nuts. bill pearson

bill pearson
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

#40751 08/11/06 03:36 PM
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Bill, I have a 65 with 194. Do you have the line stricly to the advance or is there an auto trans connection coming off as well? Are you using the steel line to get close to the distributor or just a rubber line? If it is all rubber they are bad to leak from the heat of the exhaust manifold. About the only other place would be at the fitting into the bottom of the carb. It's a pretty simple system. Is it possible it's a vacuum leak at the car itself. I had a leak on mine at the gasket where the base bloted to the bowl because the bowl was a little warped.

#40752 08/11/06 06:37 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I suspect that what you hear is the atomizing of the fuel in the carburetor. Remove the air cleaner and make an adjustment to the air adjust screw on the carburetor. This should change the sound of the "hissing" sound you hear. A major problem with the stock carburetor was the warping of the top cover. This was caused by over tightening the center bolt that holds on the air filter. If you get the objectionable noise out of the system, tighten the wing nut on top of the air filter barely finger tight.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

#40753 08/18/06 09:18 PM
homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
the origional steel line is long gone, but i do have one on a doner motor, the rubber line is o.k. though. is the vacume modulator suppose to come off the same port? mine has a tee on the small line going to the choke pull off? thinking that is wrong. i saw one at the lake erie meet and it had a steel tee soldered into the steel line going the the advance and the modulator. thinking something a wrong here. it is the way i got the car. i will also look for leaks in the carb, but this is in that vacume circut. again if i pinch the line a few inches from the carb the noise stops, 8-10 inches away the hissing continues,, but no leaks in the line or the advance.. strange

bill pearson
#40754 08/21/06 11:13 PM
homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
switched stuff around today, put the vacume modulator and the advance off the port closest to the valve cover. and the other line to the pull off only. think it is running better and down shifting better. life is good...

bill pearson
#40755 08/24/06 11:32 PM
homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
THAT TRIP TO THE LAKE ERIE MEET WAS WORTH IT, RUNS LIKE NEW. THANKS TO THE GUY WHO HELPED ME OUT WITH THE 63 SS CONVERT. ANYBODY KNOW HOW I CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM?

bill pearson

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.