Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#407167 04/27/18 09:55 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I did a few different keyword searches and didn't see anyone discussing this topic so I figured I'd start the thread...

Has anyone done a disc brake conversion to their old Chevy? I've got a 1931 5-Window that I'm strongly considering doing this for so that I can drive the thing on more than neighborhood roads.

My questions are mainly:

Who has done this and what advice can you offer up?

What conversion kit did you use? What other upgrades did you have to make because of this?

Have you had any issues with the brakes since converting?

What skill level is required for this sort of thing?

Anyway thanks in advance I look forward to hearing about y'alls experiences!

1931 5-Window Coupe # 1,406 of 28,379
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
You might get more replies in the personalized vehicle forum as other forums are mostly regarding original restoration in keeping with the VCCA mission. There are other sites that are mainly for hot rods and conversions or custom cars. I drive my 32 on all types of roads including interstates (when necessary) with no problems but I do enjoy back roads and am more comfortable there than on the interstate.

Steve D
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response, Yea the car is pretty much original and I'd like to keep it that way with the exception of the brakes. I live in the heart of the DFW Metroplex and it's not so much my ability as it is all the other idiots on the road. I certainly would not take this car on the highways around here where the posted speed is 70 and the average is about 80.

1931 5-Window Coupe # 1,406 of 28,379

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.