Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
There are many 30 x 3 tires and many companies to buy them from. Which would you choose that are easier to get on and off and help with the wobble (x type or smooth tread) on the front end of a 490? I understand most are made in Vietnam. Also, I am told many tubes that you buy are defective.

See my car in the photo gallery of 490 of this club.
Art Winters
Washington, MO

1916 Chevy Service Delivery Owner
516 W 3rd
Washington MO 63090
Phone 314-440-7140
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Good luck getting an answer form this crowd. I asked a similar question thinking with all the years of experience on this forum someone would offer advice or suggestions. Sadly, the only response I got was from a real helpful gentleman... he suggested to call the tire company... hmm now why didn't I think of that?
Like most of the information I obtained during the 8 year restoration of my 24 Superior I got by digging through archives. I recently joined the AACA and the difference in help and assistance is what I would expect when joining an car club. Like minded individuals who love what they do AND are willing to share the knowledge they have gained.

If you have read to this point I would suggest you look through the member roster and find someone with the same car and try and contact them through a PM. I haven't had great luck with this but at times I have run across someone that is both knowledgeable and willing to share knowledge.
Best of luck to you and if you get someone worthy please share your findings.
Thanks GW

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Tires are an area particularly for many of the earlier Chevrolets that most current owners don't know anything about. Very few drive those cars enough miles to have to change tires. And even if they do drive them they may have never bought new ones. I am guilty. My 490 still has the tires that were on it when I bought it many years ago. I have plenty of other cars to drive so it just sits looking good. I do have a couple of tires that don't like to hold air and/or are cracking. I have found some used tires that are in good enough shape for my needs. We are going to have a tech session on changing the clincher tires. Several of our local VCCA Region members have indicated that they want to attend. I did buy new tubes but not tires.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Chipper, I hope you can video the tech session, what a great idea. I put a brand new tube on one of my 24 tires and ended up with three patches before it would hold air-my fault.

Dave

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Call Universal vintage tire. 877-217-2558. Great people, good prices and fast delivery.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I suggest you add tire flaps. The fit in and hold the inner tube in place and keep it from getting pinched when installing the tire.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/RF1.aspx
Most modern made tires do not cradle the tube like the old ones. They leave a gap between the beads.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I put the Firestone 30 x 3 1/2" tires on my '23 touring car about 15 years ago and they have done fine. I drive the car around 500 miles per year.
I did buy tires, flaps, and tubes and always keep a spare tube under the back seat just in case. I loaned it to a guy in Flint during the Anniversary meet and he installed it in front of a crowd of people. that didn't know the difference between a wheel and rim.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Chris
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I bought tires for my 490 2 years ago , they were Universal had the best price. I also bought 4 new tubes because I went to a car show and had a flat . What a chore to fix it. So far so good. When I checked air pressure this spring tires were down about 15 lbs but sat for 8 months. These tires were made in Vietnam also. I guess you just have to do your research and decide what you want to pay for. I figure the tires I bought are good for the amount the car is driven these days.

1932 4 door Special Sedan 1916 490 Touring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.