Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Removed hood and now replaced it. For some reason I cant figure our how to keep each individual side from moving/sliding from front to back? What is the trick?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Well my 38 is Holden body but on mine there is a rear support for the centre strip for the hood. Up underneath is a flat plate with elongated hole. You place it so that when the hood is slid back it stops the centre strip where you want it to.Hope this helps.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have two pieces back there. The curved one with the bolt that goes into the cowl and you tighten from inside under the dash. That seems to pass through a rectangular "block". Is it the "block" that serves as a stop somehow? Having trouble visualizing it. All seems to just slide along the center stainless support. Thanks

If you have a picture that would be awesome. -John

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'll have to take pics during the day. It's been awhile since I messed with my hood, but I think there are stops on the hinge rod near the front as well as that 'block' at the cowl.

~Jim

'38 Master Deluxe 2-Dr

*Disclaimer*...All technical advice given is for entertainment value only, and is not to be taken seriously...
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thank you very much

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Ok, I put the original hood center hinge/moulding on the radiator housing ('the doghouse')

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

When you turn it upside down, there's a piece welded inside the trim that does 2 things; holds the hoods in place and stops the hood from moving forward.

And, this is the 'block' that stops the hood from moving backwards.

How much movement do you have on your hoods?

Last edited by green427; 12/17/17 03:22 PM.

~Jim

'38 Master Deluxe 2-Dr

*Disclaimer*...All technical advice given is for entertainment value only, and is not to be taken seriously...
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks Jim. When I say hood I mean the two actual "wings" that move back and forth as well as up and down. My stainless/chrome center piece fastens as you have indicated and pictures show. At the rear the stainless center piece uses that curved block and rectangle spacer to bolt to the cowl but I don't see how any of this stops the actual hood "winds" from sliding front to back?? My hoods will slide probably 1-2" may be a bit more. -John

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
any thoughts? I must be missing something?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by hurlbird
any thoughts? I must be missing something?

Without pictures, I would have to guess that there's a 1"-2" gap between the hood and the front stop piece.

Get a tape measure and measure the exact length of the lip on your hood and measure the distance under the hood hinge between where it would stop the hood from moving.

~Jim

'38 Master Deluxe 2-Dr

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hi John, Picture is worth xxxx words. The rear looks fine but the front of your chrome trim has a bent bracket. The fan had a habit of biting it's way thru the radiator when the motor mounts wore out so some folks moved the radiator shell forward an inch.
This made it possible to change the belt without loosening the shell. But the hood wouldn't fit as you described. See where the shell is mounted below.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.