Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've been rather flummoxed trying to figure out how the wiper motor control rod on my '31 Sp. Sedan actuates the motor.

A little background: The wiper motor was in a box of parts when I got the car and I assumed it was the original. Ted Brito "Chistech" from Massachusetts graciously took time out of his busy schedule this week to make and send me the trim piece which goes above the windshield regulator. It's a perfect fit so now I can finish tacking up the headliner plus the wiper motor control rod protrudes through exactly as it should. Too, the control rod is original to the car and looks exactly like those sold by the FS. Both Ted and "Chipper" (from Texas) have kindly corresponded with me as to the control rod and wiper motor.

When in its proper place the hook at the end of the rod is exactly 1.5inches from the hole on the push-pull switch on the motor so no way can it fit the hole. My question: The push-pull switch on the wiper motor is at the back of the motor. If it was on the side of the motor the mechanics of the control rod would make sense. Either that or I'm missing a small link. For those of you with closed cars, Sedans, Coaches, Coupes etc. is the push-pull switch on your wiper motors at the back of the motor or on the side (driver's side)? If the switch is on the back is there a link from the control rod to the switch?

With apology for this lengthy post I look forward to answers. I don't want to keep bugging Ted and Chipper plus, just maybe, my motor isn't original as I thought.

Best Regards,

Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
As an addendum to my post: I looked up the control rod again on the FS website. As per the picture it looks exactly like my control rod, however.....it is hard to tell from the picture whether the rod from the FS is all in one plane or if there's a twist on the end which goes to the motor. It looks from the picture like there might be a twist which would take the rod from the hole in the metal header over to the push-pull switch. My control rod is all in one plane, that is; if I place it on my workbench it lies completely flat. If there were a twist (or bend) in it it possibly might reach the switch.

Best Regards,

Tom

Last edited by july1231863; 10/20/17 03:10 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The wiper control rod is NOT in one plane. The "U" shaped end is approx. 30 deg. from the plane of most of the rest of the rod. Most because the section near the middle of the longest upright section is not in the same plane as the threaded end.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
What Chipper said! LOL

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have some intimate knowledge of the '31 wiper control wires as I make the replacements sold by the Filling Station. Each is made by hand matching an original.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
This old post has been extremely helpful! I too was struggling with trying to understand the wiper mechanism. I had studied photos of other cars and pictures of the control rod but none of it made sense until I read this post.

My 31 special sedan came with the wiper motor mounted upside down, no blade, no control rod and no hole in the the headliner trim panel above the windshield. I am hoping that whoever did the upholstery in the past was lazy and just went over the hole.

Can anyone help me locate a bezel, knob and Rod? I did read Chipper makes the rods for the filling station. Would be nice to get it all together.

I located the steel line under the dash going up the A pillar and the other end exiting near the wiper motor. I applied vacuum under the dash but much of it was lost at the exit by the motor. I am hoping there is a rubber section between the top of the A pillar and the where it passes through to the outside that is rotted.

Thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

See the USA in your Chevrolet

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.