Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#393567 08/12/17 04:03 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Does anyone have the dimensions for the top bows on a 30 roadster? Also a source. Thanks

Dick
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
there used to be a place called OAK BOWS , not sure if they are still in business ???????? google them.

alternative. google search WOOD TOP BOWS FOR ROADSTERS or something like that.

mike bana2

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
putting my thinking hat on, I came up with a solution for missing bows.

You have the metal frames, assemble them together.

Using the shape of the metal frames where they would attach to the wood bows, construct patterns of the wood shape needed using cardstock, first one side then the other. Cut this out and assemble the cardstock pattern with contact cement or tape.

Use this to produce a quality pattern you cut out & do in 2 pieces of 3/4" thick plywood, screwed together to make a 1 1/2" wide pattern.

This will be your base on which the bows will be formed. Suggest you create the bows out of ASH as it bends easier and tends to break less than oaks.

Have the ASH cut into 1/2" thick pieces X by width needed , that will bend easier than if you try to bend thicker wood.

Go to you tube and find videos on steam bending and watch them many times to fully understand whats going on. I made my soaking pipe out of 4" black ABS pipe. I also used another same size pipe to place the wood strip in and steam it.

I created my steamer from a wallpaper steamer , 2 of them.

Make sure you have lots of clamps to hold the wood to the pattern. I soaked for 4 days on 15/16" thick wood.

I left the clamped part in the jig for quite a while. Leave it in there and ADD the other strips on top until you have the thickness needed.

When your finally ready....2-3 weeks, use waterproof TITE BOND wood glue to glue all the strips together.

Now that's the back one, move ahead to the middle one and lastly to the front windshield header piece.

Now wasn't that fun ???????????????????

mike lynch hood

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi,I had the same problem when I restored the top on my 30 roadster.The entire top framework was missing on my car. I searched for years, and finally found a complete top framework incl the top bows. The bows were badly weathered and needed replacing, but they were not warped or anything like that.The gentleman I purchased them from cut them in half for easier shipping.When I built the jig for bending and clamping I took into consideration the aprox 1/8" that was missing when they were cut.I made mine out of solid oak.The first one I made did not turn well.The wood split some on the main bend.What I did is I made myself a container made of 11/2"x1/8" flat iron. I welded a containment end onto one end, and an adjustable end on the other end (contaning the wood from end to end with a threaded bolt)This would not allow the oak to stretch when being bent but forcing it to compress when being bent. I then, clamped the wood complete with the containment apparatus in the homemade bending jig and clamped it in place.(oak will stretch about 5%, but will compress about 15% when steamed and bent)This apparatus forced the oak to compress rather than stretch when being bent.Worked for me.My wood bows are solid oak not laminated. John

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
the youtube video I used to get ideas on how to do it

mike

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
There is a fellow in CA that works on top bows. I think his name is John Bouranakis and he has patterns for many bows. I bought a set for the little '28 depression truck I am working on. He reconditioned the rusted out metal irons that I bought for it. They are not '28 type but should work for my project. After he repairs the metal he fills the iron with epoxy type resin instead of wood. That means powder coating is out. I think I have the number someplace if you want it.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Please pm me with that info. Thanks

Dick

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.