Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
xxx Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
2 questions:

1. To pull the '57 into the trailer I am putting the cable around and hooking back on the cable where the lower A arm and the frame comes together...any problem with this??? Any better place??

2. When tying the car down in the trailer is the above spot ok for the front tie down strap?

On the rear tie downs, where would you attach the tie downs? The brake line is right next to the rear axle so I have been using the frame (rear horns?), could use the leaf springs if you think that is ok.

Thanks

PS...someone said to use 'axle straps' to help with tie down, who sells these? Could maybe work for the rear (easier to get to the axle, but the brake line...)

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
i tie down my trailered vehicles with 4 ratchet straps. i criscross them. i have straps that encircle the rear axle housing and then insert the straps up front thru the lower a-arms. haven't lost one yet. good luck, mike ps--got my ratchets and straps at carlisle but don't know vendor. should be available locally.mike

xxx Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Mike, So you use the same place as I do for the front tie down, that is good news. What do you think of using this spot to attach the cable to pull the car into the trailer? I also use the winch/cable as a 3rd tie down on the front, but I don't cris-cross the other 2 front straps, I figure the rear cris-cross will stop any sideways movements.

You use the rear axle for rear tie downs, do you see any problems with using the rear horns on a '57, hard to get to that rear axle. I agree that they should be cris-crossed on the rear.

I got the straps from TSC (got heavier than needed but I worry a lot).

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.