Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39021 02/02/05 06:06 PM
PAPA-K Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I BOUGHT A 57 WITH A AUTO TRANS IN IT, MY SHIFT LEVER INDICATOR HAS P R N D GR , I THOUGHT THE TURBOGLIDE IS P R N D HR NOW IVE RUN BACK AND FORTH IN AND OUT OF THE HOUSE A COUPLE TIMES AND LOOKED IN THE BOOK, ANY IDEAS HERE IS THIS A LATER TRANS, I JUST DO NOT REMEMBER SEEING GR BEFORE? wazzup

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The very,very early TG had the HR (hill retard) letters.This is also only shown in very early literature.It was changed to GR (grade retard)
so as not to confuse drivers into thinking that HR indicated "high range".....A logical thought as the transmission didn't actually up-shift.A HR car would be very rare.

The very early TG had some problems.After a first batch they were reworked to eleminate the problems.This resulted in them not being available in quanity until about Jan. of 1957.During this down time the GR apeared.

GR must never be used for forward movement, only for down hill braking.The use of it for starting off always meant failure.

The 1957 TG was not a good unit and the 1958 was worse.There were revisions made later to up date the forward, neutral and reverse cone clutches in the 1958 to the multiple disc clutches used from 1959-61.The 1959-61's were a decent transmission.There were no updates made for the 1957's....and if they weren't abused such as shifting from drive to reverse ,such as rocking back and forth when stuck in snow,or attempting to start in GR, they could give fair service.

Seeing that there is never a gear change once in drive range they will not be harmed by full throttle operation,etc.When floored the "variable pitch" feature of of the torque converter stator will allow the engine to speed-up and act as a passing gear under 55MPH - also will increase the torque multiplaction for more jump off the line.This is controlled by the carb. linkage rod-that runs down to the transmission.For it to operate correctly correct adjustment is necessary.

Most internal parts fit 1957 only.

Gene Schneider
PAPA-K Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
thank you for the information, this definitly is the place to go for information Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.