Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#388638 05/02/17 03:57 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am considering buying a 1925 Model K superior and know nothing about the car. Will someone please tell me the following and any other information they would care to share. Thank you in advance. Shift pattern-standard clutch and 3 spd tranny? Brake and gas pedals? 4 wheel mechanical brakes? Engine parts available? Where do I get manuals? Not interested in speeding, but usual cruising speed-25-30, 35-40? Thanks Mike Denbar

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Mike,
The shift pattern is the typical "H" with reverse and second close to the dashboard and first and third toward the seats. There are no synchronizers so shifting requires a bit of practice. Doesn't take too much time for quiet shifts.

Brake, clutch, gas pedals are in familiar locations so doesn't require extraordinary training like some other popular cars of the era.

1925 Chevys have only rear wheel brakes. Front brakes were considered too dangerous as they could result in loss of steering on slick surfaces. With proper linings and adjustment the cars will stop in a reasonable distance. Not as short as modern power brakes but not unsafe either.

Most parts are available from either part suppliers or part hoarders. Many VCCA members have stashes of parts. It is an excellent idea to become a VCCA member and the available expertise, parts and activities.

Manuals and some parts are available from several businesses. The Filling Station in Oregon is one of them. The company is owned by dedicated VCCA members.

Most drive the 1925 Chevys in the 35-40 mph range. Of course it depends on road conditions and traffic. There are some speedsters that can travel at modern road speeds. Takes some modifications.

About 60 VCCA members just finished the Southern Spring tour last week in rural Oklahoma east of Tulsa. Was a great time. A total of 350 miles with several four cylinder Chevrolets. Tour speed is generally in the 35 mph range. A bunch of VCCA members routinely drive their 4 cylinder Chevys.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Chipper, Thank you. I restore fire engines. Want to reproduce a period fire chief's car. All they did at that time was take a car, paint or gold leaf fire chief on the side and put on some fire equipment. Very functional. The Superior K sounds like my 1929 LaFrance. No synchro, mechanical rear brakes, etc. only the car does not weigh 10000 lbs. I also tried to get in touch with Mike Lynch because he knows someone restoring a 1939 Chevy COE. I am currently restoring a 1939 GMC COE fire engine. Not many around and we can usually help each other. This is my first experience with this site. Very nice. Thank you. Mike

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It is a pleasure to be able to help keep Chevys on the road. Also to preserve a bit of history.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Mike, sounds like you've got a bunch of really cool vehicles!

Check out the cover from one of our monthly magazines last year. 1928 Chevy Fire Volunteer's car that is owned by Dan O'Day in San Jose, CA.

Cheers, Dean

[Linked Image from vcca.org]

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That is beautiful. Thank you.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dean, I would send you a photo of my 1939 GMC COE but I don't know how to attach a photo. Mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi again,

We all would love to see some pics of your Chevys!

If you join the VCCA, you'll get a lot more out of this site and the club in general.

Some of the benefits are:
  • Only members can use the site's search function
  • Get access the member roster online (to get an individual's contact info, for example)
  • Access technical articles
  • Post photos on the site
  • And, a bunch more. Here's a long list of benefits to joining the VCCA.

To join, click here: VCCA 'join the club' page

One of the places our members put photos of their vehicles is here (it is a new feature of the site, so it is just starting to get populated with pictures): VCCA Member vehicle pics

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I do not own a Chevy yet, I am considering buying a Superior K touring. Just researching and I am getting good info. I own a 1929 American Lafrance, a 1939 GMC COE one off fire engine, a 1932 Dodge Brothers fire engine, a 1960 Nash Metropolitan convertible fire chief's car and forgive the word, a 1955 Ford F100 that I have owned for 40 years. Hope I am still welcome. I will join VCCA once I find my car.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Cool collection. yay

BTW, our club includes/covers GMC trucks too.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dean, Did not know that. I will join VCCA now. Once I join I will post a picture if I can figure it out. If you want to see my project now, google Old Dominion Historical Fire Society (ODHFS). Go down the 1st web page and you will see a very different truck. It will say "Updating the Restoration..1939.." Click on that and you will get an explanation of the truck and project. Also 4 photobucket albums. A couple are chronologically out of order. But you can figure them out. I like basket cases. This one is really not restorable. When finished I will have welded in over 1000 lbs of patch panels I have fabricated. I do all my own work, except gold leafing. Again, real nice having you to communicate with. Mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
WOW!!! That is ONE COOL RIG! I wish I lived closer. I'd love to see it in person.

Here's a link to the story: http://odhfs.org/news.html?view=1&id=69334

And Mike, check out the Chat forums for the trucks: https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/category/12/Vans,_Trucks,_Commercial_and_S

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 05/05/17 04:35 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I just saw the truck forum and sent a msg to a guy looking for an answer to a Lafrance issue. If you come out this way holler. I think about 2 more years. I have been on it about 5 so far.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.