Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I had my transmission rebuilt and put in new clutch assembly and we found that the pressure plate fingers were bad. So got another setup and put that in and I still am having issues with getting it into gear. I adjusted the clutch so that I had about a inch of pedal free play and that did not let into 1st or reverse without grinding alot. So I let it out more with no adjustment left and still have grinding issues. Then I adjusted it the other way and no better luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not a great troubleshooter at this stuff die to age and lack of experience.I am going to call the fellow that rebuilt the tranny and get his input. Definitely stumped.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
It sounds like you still have a pressure plate or disc problem. Remove the flywheel cover and with the trans in neutral have someone push the clutch in while you see if the disc will turn free. If you cannot turn the disc rotate the flywheel by hand and check to see if the pressure plate is pulling back off the disc equally all the way around. You could also have the pilot bushing dragging on the input shaft. Also make sure the disc will slide freely on the splines of the input shaft.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Are you running the vacuum shift assembly and is that hooked up and working?

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I do have the vacuum shift and it is hooked up. I am nit sure how to determine if it is working or not but I did not have this issue before I had the transmission rebuilt. How does a person determine if the vacuum shift is working or not? I have the centerplate on the floorboard out yet so I can see everything still. And the inspection plate is off also.

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I did have someone in the car and when they pushed the clutch in I can see the throw out bearing push against the pressure plate fingers. Should the disc then turn by hand at that point. Also when I adjusted the clutch rod inward I could see more space between the throw out bearing and the plate. Is this right? Sure wish I knew more about this stuff.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Yes the disc should turn by hand, but it takes very little drag on the disc to keep the input shaft on the trans turning and cause it to grind going into gear.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
You are positive the disc is NOT in backwards?

Gene Schneider
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am sure.

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
And if it does not turn freely with pedal in what does that tell me?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Disc is in backwards!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Or the pressure plate is not pulling back even

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks everyone for all the ideas on what to look for. WIll keep you posted

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rich,

Have you done a search of our old posts. We have been talking about grinding transmissions for several years. I ASSUME your problem is a linkage problem unless your rebuilder was not thorough. It doesn't take much to mess up linkage attached to your steering column. It seems by now you should have ruled out clutch and pressure plate problems. What was the problem you were having before the rebuild? Have you looked inside your transmission to see its condition? Do you understand the directions in your manual?

Here are a few old posts. Grinding three speed transmision

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

We are very sure that we have a brand new pilot bearing that was too tight and creating the problem. With clutch pedal in the disc will move but is turning way too hard. So we started the car in 1st gear with clutch in thinking that mat=ybe the pilot bushing would loosen up after a minute or two on its own. After about 30 seconds the car tried to move forward a bit with clutch pedal depressed. My friend is positive the pilot bearing is noe seized and that is the issue. And he also thinks that it may be a problem to get tranny to come out because of bushing froze. Does this seem like a probable situation?

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Who mounted the transmission to the rear of the engine? I don't see how you could get a pilot bearing to mate to the front gear(shaft) of the transmission if it was not properly sized. I also do not see why the installer would not have tested the fit of the pilot bearing over the transmission gear(shaft) before trying to install the transmission.

Was the transmission installed to the engine block according to the directions in the manual? Here is a link that covers transmission removal/install with some pictures. 1937 3 speed transmission (checkout 41 transmission removal part #1). If indeed the pilot bearing was damaged in the install then you will have to use some patience and ingenuity to get it out. Here is a link to some old posts on that topic. Clutch Pilot Bearing (bushing) Removal

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Rich

For what you suggest on the "too tight" pilot bushing both the OD of the bushing would be too large and the ID of the bushing hole would have to be too small. If either the OD or the ID is "right sized" the clutch shaft should not drag. Pull the 4 bolts that hold the trans mount to the cross member, support the rear of the engine, back the 4 transmission mounting bolts out 1/4" and see if you can move the transmission back reasonably easy. If you can move it back the pilot bushing is OK. Don't have any suggestions other than several years back I got a clutch disc that just looked too thick and took it back and it was thicker than the others they had in stock so I exchanged it. The disc was a reman and the lining was too thick on both sides.

I have had bushings stuck in the crankshaft but never on the transmission clutch shaft. But that was after they had been installed for many, many years.

Mike
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Rich,

Hope you are making progress with trouble shooting the shifting.

Here are a few more ideas to consider.

In your original post you stated that it would grind when you tried to shift into 1st or reverse. Does it grind when you try to shift into 2nd or 3rd? If it does then I agree that most likely the problem is in the clutch area. If it only grinds going into 1st or reverse I would start to think that something is not right in the transmission.

Also a very stiff or bad throw out bearing will create drag and prevent the disc from spinning easily.

Another idea would be to lift the rear wheels off the ground (set the rear axle on jack stands so the driveshaft is not at a steep angle)and run the car through the gears to see what happens.

Unfortunately my best guess is that ultimately the transmission will have to come out so you can either diagnose and fix the clutch problem or have the rebuilder fix the transmission.

Be patient and enjoy the challenge. That is why we are in this crazy hobby of vintage cars!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rich,

Did you and the transmission rebuilder take the time to remove the cover of the transmission and take a look inside? Could your problem be that the yoke was installed incorrectly? Take a look at this link and go down to my discussion and pictures on the yoke Double clutching and grinding .

Have you searched all our old posts to look for clues on your problem? If you have not please do so. We regularly discuss shifting issues.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If you do need to remove the pilot bushing, this tool has made it easier than ever. Its a Lisle 55600 and its $10 at most places. Way better than using toilet paper and a dowel rod.

[Linked Image from static.summitracing.com]

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
If the new pilot bushing was not installed all the way in it cause it to bind on the input shaft.

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Have had not time to mess with the clutch issue lately due to snow issues but I did have the guy that rebuilt the tranny come over and we messed with adjusting the clutch in and out and he felt that the pilot bushing was too tight on the input shaft. we then started the car and he felt that running it with the clutch pedal in the bushing may wear itself in a bit. well after about 30 seconds running on my lift the car actually tried to jump forward a bit. Now this makes him think that the bushing may be seized on the input shaft. He has never seen this in all his years of working on the older cars. has anyone had this happen to them or any ideas how to get the tranny out easier, as there is not much room to get it out in the first place. Torque tube does not move any to speak of. Thanks everyone

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rich,

Sorry about your luck. Please take the time to learn to use our SEARCH process so you can access our old posts on this topic. Lots of info available by searching using the terms +transmission +removal

Good luck, Mike

P.S. Hope the problem is not your rebuilder. Also good directions are in your manual on removing the transmission. Have you taken the cover off of your transmission yet and look inside? If you can not see inside, because of head room, take some pictures or make a video.

Last edited by Mike Buller; 02/17/17 08:08 AM.

Mike 41 Chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.