Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Anybody know where I can get material close to what was used from the factory . It is on the floor and in the trunk, kinda like a thick fiber cardboard that is glued down. I do not want to use that silver high tech stuff everybody is selling even though it is probably better. Just does not fit this project.

The Honer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
What about a roofing felt? My 50 Chevy has some stuff that looked very similar to that in both thickness and color.

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I had thought about that maybe gluing 2 sheets together to get the thickness then gluing that down. This stuff is pretty thick. The wife has a 68 Caprice Custom, Classic Muscle sells replacement matting just like what came from the factory I think it has tar on it. Had the seats out and got some on my hands and pants, gas for the hands and you can,t get it off of the pants.

Thanks The Honer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Honer
Anybody know where I can get material close to what was used from the factory . It is on the floor and in the trunk, kinda like a thick fiber cardboard that is glued down. I do not want to use that silver high tech stuff everybody is selling even though it is probably better. Just does not fit this project.

The Honer

YUP WORKS GREAT, CUTS DOWN THE HEAT FROM THE EXHAUST WARMING UP THE METAL FLOOR. RIGHT CHOICE.

ONCE YOU HAVE THE CARPETS INSTALLED, WHO'S GOING TO KNOW, OTHER THAN YOU ???

MIKE

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I think you need to give this some more thought. Was there any sound deadener on the floors of 37 coupes? Are you confusing the deadener on the wirewall, doors, quarter panels, roof, with what you think should be on floors? Different materials were used on firewalls. Firewall Insulation Pads

I don't see any R value or sound deadener value in bonding less than ten layers of tar paper together. Have you checked out any materials used on putting a roof membrane on a flat roof?

Sound Deadening Materials

Are you interested in some kind of a look or is it hot in North Carolina and you need something to make it more comfortable to drive your car? Here are some product ideas. Have you done a SEARCH of our past posts on this topic?

Eastwood Sound Deadener Products

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.