Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My 1931 Chevy had been sitting for around 3 years without starting it because I was out of state and got a chance to go and check it out, I replaced spark plugs cables verified rotor cap, cleaned fuel lines, tank, carburetor and installed a fresh battery, when I pulled the choke was able to get it started but had to keep the gas pedal all the way in to be able to keep the engine on for some minutes and with the gas pedal all the way in the engine was not at high rpm now my question is could the carburetor need rebuilding or the problem

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi
Firstly make sure the choke is returning to the off position, sounds a bit like it may be stuck closed, if it is their will be a lot of smoke, if it's ok the carby may just need a good clean.

Brian
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Carburetor at least needs a thorough cleaning. Get a good aerosol carburetor cleaner, take out the idle mixture screw, squirt cleaner carefully (with safety glasses) everywhere, better several short shots instead of one longer one. Best to take the carburetor off the manifold as it is easier to take off stuff and clean everything. Put carb back on and try to run the engine. If you still have problems then consider sending to one of us (Chipper, JunkYardDog) with lots of experience with those carburetors.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.