Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
The windshield on my '31 coach has never rolled up or down. The handle spins freely as thought it isn't contacting anything. I plan to attack this problem soon as the humid summers here in TN NEED that extra ventilation.

I have searched the threads and have not found any pictures of this process. I would like to see what I'm getting into. The fabric is original and I don't want to damage it because of areas that have nails that I am unaware of. I assume the handle is removed the same way that the door handles are, with the clip that is pushed off with a door-handle-removal tool.

Any help, or links to discussions I may have missed with step by step instructions on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Youth is wasted on the young
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi Brandon,

In this hot, humid weather the operating front windshield is a real plus.
On my '30 coupe, the regulator board cover is held in place by four bolts, one at each corner. There is also a trim board nailed over the upper part of the regulator cover board. I removed the trim board by prying it off with a large flat tip screwdriver. Here is a link to the Fisher Body Service Manual which sort of describes and shows the windshield regulator assembly:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/2632fbsm/2631fbsm107.html

It's been nearly 10 years since I've worked on this assembly, so my memory of how it looks is not so good anymore.

Happy Motoring,

Dan

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Ted (chistech) just rebuilt the one on my 1929 with the kit from Gary Wallace. He has pictures and could probably walk you through the process he did. Also I have some pictures posted: (from Ted)

Windshield Regulator 01
Windshield Regulator 02
Windshield Regulator 03
Windshield Regulator 04
Windshield Regulator 05
Windshield Regulator 06

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The handle is held on by the same clip as the door handle and window crank. The gears are originally die-cast and likely need to be replaced. Kits are available from the Filling Station part number FS-206. Probably others as well.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
just a side note there is a CORE charge to return your original crank shaft or pay the core charge. like $35

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks everyone. Using the information I gathered on how it works and looking at some pictures that Sal emailed me I was at least able to get the windshield up by raising it by hand after turning the handle all the way the correct direction. For now I've got a small piece of wood I made with a channel for the glass holding it up. Since I'm only able to use limited funds to slowly fix the problems on this car I think I'll move this one down the list for now and move on to some other issues firs, given how expensive the gear mechanism is (if you can't find a good used one).

I'll come back to this at a later date and when I do I'll post pictures of the progress.

Thanks,
Brandon

Youth is wasted on the young

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.