Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#369831 06/07/16 09:16 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I received a call today for the guy - my uncle - I got my car from. He said he found the windshield for it in the corner of his garage when he was looking around earlier. I told him I would be right over. Well, not only did he have one windshield - both pieces - he had two complete windshields. The glass is pretty toasted in all four sections but the metal frames are in excellent condition.

[Linked Image from i1383.photobucket.com]

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Very cool. extra parts are always great with these cars!

Chris
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That's for sure. I was planning to buy one I saw listed on ebay for $295. Now I can spend that money on, well, I'm not sure yet but I bet it won't take long to find out.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I see that both the lower glasses are cracked. That's what tends to happen if you open the lower screen from one side by yourself. Anyway that's how mine got cracked. The only time I did it to see what it felt like; didn't do it again.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
At least you had a plan. Today is my first time ever seeing these windows so I have no idea how they got broken. All four glass panes will have to be replaced, however, I will be sure to take care and heed your advice.

Is there a specific type of glass these need to be replaced with, such as a modern laminate safety glass or just any tempered glass of correct thickness? And what would that original thickness be?

And does anybody sell a replacement for the material that holds the glass in the frame or would a good caulking work just the same?

Last edited by MikeinWV; 06/08/16 04:02 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike,
I had new glass cut for mine at a local glass shop. If you tell them it is going into a car windshield they will be required by law to use laminated safety glass. I used clear glass and once it is installed in the frame you cant tell the difference. Both pieces cost me a little more than $100.
Tom

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My windscreen is laminated. The only problem is that there is an open edge when used on old cars and water can get in so you have to seal it with clear. I don't know about using window glass. Cars used to use tempered glass but that has to be factory formed and can't be cut from a sheet, or at least not easily or legally.I would be interesting to hear what other people are using. So far as installation I tag the edges in half a dozen places with double sided rubber tape, fill the channel with butyl mastic and push the glass in. Cut off the tag excess,clean up the mastic and leave it to set.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Safety glass is required for your own safety. Window glass may look the same but you'll notice a big difference when a big rock comes your way while you're driving. Glass companies can put in tempered glass also since they temper the glass after they cut it but it's not recomended for windshiels as you'll be showered with glass if a rock hits the windshield.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I found a place locally to cut and install the glass when I get ready for it. It will be clear laminated glass and should make a good looking and safe job when installed on the car. Each panel will cost $65, so I will have $130 in each set. Not sure if I will do both sets now or wait a while on the second set. I was thinking the second set would be good trading material some day.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.