Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Howdy all,

I am new around here, but under the suggestion of Mr. Bill Barker I found my way over here. I can already tell this place will be a wealth of information. (and I'll need all the help I can get)

Little introduction, I live in the DFW Metroplex, I've got a 1931 5-window coupe currently stored at my granddads house. I plan on going and getting it from him soon, either May or June.

The car has been garaged since the early 60's, it has been restored here and there over the course of those years, never has "run quite right" but until about a year or two ago my granddad has kept it in "running condition".

Known issues:
Faulty starter switch (plan on purchasing new one from fillingstation.com)
Gas leaking into the oil, we suspect it is the fuel pump, though my granddad has had it replaced once.

Anyway, hope I won't be too bothersome, I am quite new to working on the mechanical side of cars, but am quite familiar with paint and body.

I'll post again when I get the car into my garage where I can work on it more regularly.

Looking forward to it!
I attempted adding a picture of it.
[img]https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=119AE0443FA9FC21!1026&authkey=!AP64ZQiiyXTHW2Q&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg[/img]

-Garrett

1931 5-Window Coupe # 1,406 of 28,379
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Beautiful looking car, Garrett! Welcome aboard!

Here's a working link to your picture...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the fix and the compliment!
My first order of business once I get it down here is a full detail, gotta make it shine.

Last edited by CGM_31567; 04/27/16 10:15 AM.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Welcome aboard Garrett! Your car is beautiful and I'm sure you'll enjoy owning, driving and working on it.

You've come to the right place. If there's something to know about these old Chevys, the guys here will know it and are always ready to help.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Welcome Tex.: Great looking 31 !
Dulty

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Good looking car. I live 300 miles south. Can help with most '31 questions as I have owned at least one since '69. Restored and preserved more than one.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Welcome Garrett,
Glad to have you join us. I live in Dallas and have a '31 Special Sedan that I've owned since 1962. I finished a full restoration two years ago and would love to help you when you need it.
Happy Motoring,
Bill

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the offers to help everyone.
Chipper and knapp31,

I will certainly be calling on the occasional help!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Howdy Again!

Went and got the car this weekend! Put a little gas in it and a little quick start on air filter and it fired right up! Drove it up on the trailer, got it home took it around the block once before putting it in the garage.

Car runs pretty good just needs a tune-up. Radiator is leaking some fluid, I suspect it is the hose but I haven't dug into that yet.

Perhaps not what most would do but I am starting with a full detail of the car first. AND I'M TAKING MY SWEET TIME! I really enjoy the detailing and working with paint so I've been pretty slow with it.

So far I have washed it, clay barred the front (hood & fenders) and polished and waxed the top of the hood and the front fenders. I also removed the hood latches and cleaned them up.
Washed: with Optimum No Rinse (ONR)
Clay: Mothers and Blackfire waterless wash for lube
Rewash: ONR
Polish: First pass Orange Pad with Griots Garage Random Orbital Buffer and Blackfire SRC Compound. Second pass Blackfire Finishing Polish.
Wax: Poorboys World Natty's Blue Paste Wax (I need to pick up some Meguiars #7)
Chrome: Griots Garage Chrome Cleaner & Turtle Wax Chrome Polish

Here is a link for some pictures!
OneDrive Pics

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The link requires a login to see the pictures. Can you repost them, I'd like to see them.

Youth is wasted on the young
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
A better idea for Garrett is to JOIN THE VCCA. Then you'll have a FREE upgrade here and can upload photos directly to the Chat site.

Also, you'll receive 12 issues of the G&D for the next year -- AND you'll have immediate access to all issues for the past SIX years!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome!!!!!! wel2

-Bill Barker

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bill,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes indeed that will be easier! And I plan to join as part of my "bundle" when I order some detailing supplies and other Chevy related items.

In the meantime.... Let's see if this link works. Pictures begin with putting it on the trailer and the later ones you can see where the detailing has taken place.

Bonus picture/video! Lucy likes watching the Aggies win and a sketch of my "dream garage".

OneDrive Pics

Last edited by CGM_31567; 06/08/16 09:11 AM.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Welcome to THE place for owners and lovers of these old cars. Nice ride and enjoy it. We sure do enjoy our 32....

Mac

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.