Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#369246 05/27/16 02:16 PM
sgtjim Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1928 Chevrolet fire truck with wood spokes. The spokes have been painted. I have striped the paint off, sanded and sanded, but I am not happy with the results. Is there a place in Orange County, CA that can help me get them cleaner? If not any suggestions. What should I coat the spokes with?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oxalic acid crystals are available at hardware stores. Mixed with water, it is used as a wood bleaching agent.

But I don't know if it would work by just brushing it on all day long, or if it might do something to the painted steel parts.

My own preference is color painted spokes, rather than stain/varnish.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
They are supposed to be painted.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I suspect when the spokes were originally painted, the paint soaked into the wood somewhat, making it difficult to go back to clear spokes. If this is the case, a lot of sanding might not help.

Just speculating. Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
When I cleaned a set of wood spoked wheels a number of years ago I found that a sharp card scraper was the most effective tool to use to remove the outside layer so as to get down to nice clean wood.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The spokes were made of fairly hard wood that really didn't absorb anything much. The best way to strip is to apply paint stripper and scrape down to a point where residual paint or varnish lies in the grain. Then apply stripper and scrub with warm water with liquid sugar soap in it. Allow to dry and sand lightly.

sgtjim Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks to everyone. I stopped sanding, I was left with a nice wood grain, applied marine varnish. Wow do they look good. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.