Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello there, Was wondering if carbon throw out bearings need lubrication on 1931 models.
Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
A little light oil can help a bit though it is not necessary. The carbon does not have many voids to trap or channels to move the oil from one place to another.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
What life can i expect out of a carbon bearing before I change it out to the ball bearing ? I understand that the filling station has an excellent replacement part. I only drive it occasionally but it's usually during summer in Texas.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The carbon T.O. bearing will last for many thousands of miles.

Gene Schneider
KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I pulled the speedometer out and cleaned it up because it was frozen from sitting up. It works great after oiling with liberty oil, but upon testing it when back in car i find that the gear in the tranny is stripped probably because we drove the car not knowing the speedo was frozen. Is it going to be hard to find the gear and does the tranny have to be disassembled to install it? Also can the original 20 amp guage be used with a 6 volt 1 wire alternator? Thanks ken

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I would think that the cable would break first. The cable is not strong enough to cause the trans gear to strip.

However, the gear may have been worn out before the speedo finally froze up.

Have you disconnected both ends of the cable to test the cable to see if it turns?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
There are two gears in the trans. A drive gear on the output yoke and a driven gear (AKA pencil gear)on the side of the transmission where the cable connects. Remove the nut on the side holding the cable on and then the adapter nut that retains the pencil gear. The drive gear I believe is pressed on to the output yoke at the rear of the transmission and the ujoint and torque tube ball assy. will need to be removed for access to the yoke. It may be one gear or both that are bad but it's best to drain the oil and flush the tranny in case small pieces are left in there which could cause further damage.
Why do you want to install an alternator?

Steve D
KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
It's probably the case that the gear was wore out.
Ive only owned the auto for about a year and i'm correcting all the things that are not working.
Yes i pulled the cable out and its good. With the rear on stands i put tranny in gear and the output shaft does not turn unless you give a little help then it only turns i rev and stops.
Guess i'll have to start searching for a new gear.

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks,
I'm starting my search for a new set of gears.
Is there a way to post on chat about wanted items?
May be some one knows where to aquire these gears.

I'm putting an 6 volt alternator on so i can use the halogen light kit that The Filling Station Sells.
No alterations are required to bolt it on and can be removed to put the car back to show quality.

I sure appreciate y'all sharing your knowledge. Makes life a heap more fun.

Thanks
KenS

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes look further down in the list of Forum's you will see a Classified section and in that will be a Parts Wanted section

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ken: I put on a 12 volt alternator, coil, headlight bulbs etc. and a 6 volt reducer for 6 volt gas gage, heater etc. The motor is stronger & starts great. Saved my gen. You don't need halogen
bulbs.
Dulty

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I had a similar problem. Turned out the driven gear had slipped on it's shaft so it no longer engaged the driving gear. I pulled it out to find that out. I had another, so I just replaced it, and all was fine. If I did not have another, I was going to try to "reattach" the gear by upsetting the shaft and repress it on with loctite, or just tack weld it on. But if it slipped, you will need the correct location dimension to repair it. If you can buy a new one, it would be easier, but if you decide to repair the one you have, I may be able to help with the correct dimension.
Norm

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have pulled the pencil or driven gear and it is worn flat on one side due to excessive wear in the bushing of the nut on the cable side. I will have to find a 14 tooth driven gear and then have a machine shop rebush the nut. Do you still have the old gear that you removed. Mine looks as if it is pressed on. Do you or anyone know if the gear is still avaiable?

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I think you are right about the halogen, but my friend converted to 12 volts and has broken his starter twice in the last year, so i hesitate to go that route. I don't have a start problem, I would just like to have a little more output for night driving because I use a magnetic removable turn signal and stop light system and the gen has to be adjusted to max output to barely keep up. The alternator and gen can be changed in abut 20 min if i want to show the car. Still deciding...
KenS

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you don't have a starting problem then stay with the six volts. However, you might want to consider changing over to a six volt alternator.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by KenS
but my friend converted to 12 volts and has broken his starter twice in the last year,

Still deciding...
KenS

12 volts on a bendix type spring, shocks that spring very violently, and the spring will eventually break....unless you have your 6v starter converted for 12v.

the 12v rewind conversion will slow the starter back down to a normal rate, and the spring will be fine.

So, I'd stay with 6v as suggested, as far as starting.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I think if you change out the bulbs in your directional lights to LED's it may help with your problem.

Steve D
KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I Bought a six volt alternator that can produce 60 amps and has a universal bracket and 5/8 pully and will connect with one wire.
Now i'm wondering if the amp guage will be ok. Still searching for a speedometer gear.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Keep looking. Meanwhile I will be able to look for mine after June 1st, and the mounting dimension that you will need.
Norm

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ken,
I hope you are doing better than I am. My first look did not find the gear. But I still think I have it, and will do a more thorough search if still you have not found one.
Norm

KenS Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Norm
I have not had any luck so far. I'm hoping you can locate it. No big rush.
Ken

How do you private message folks on this site?

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by KenS
How do you private message folks on this site?

click on the persons name colored in blue, on his post. That should open a small box with one choice of "send a PM"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.