Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Beautiful job, Jay. I can't believe you have done all that work since we saw you at the AllCal in Jackson last May! And I think the Cameo Cream is a great color for the '41 Cabriolet - I can see why the Denver Mint chose to finish their model in that color. Now seeing the car all assembled, I will be thinking of it as the "Yankee Hill Mint Cabriolet". Congratulations on an outstanding job!
By the way, do you - or any of you other "41 Chevrolet" aficionados - know where I might find a pair of the rear fender gravel shields (rubber w/steel backing - preferably NOS or excellent condition? I really only need the passenger side, but would like both.

Roy_Stanley_Lord
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Roy, good to here from you...sorry for the delay in responding we left Tuesday morning for a trip to L.A.
The "Yankee Hill Mint Cabriolet" I like that thanks for the compliment.
As far as finding a stone guard all I can say is, watch E-bay this pair sold last month;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1941-Chevy-RUBBER-REAR-FENDER-STONE-GUARDS-Original-GM-pair-/322066964316?hash=item4afcafdf5c:g:uYAAAOSw0QFXBwty&vxp=

I hope to see you at Tahoe, Jay

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well the cabriolet is really done now and just in time too. It's been a fight to the finish...The top I ordered in April did not fit! Ez-On Top in NC....They made it good, cut and sewed a complete new top using my old top as a pattern. It just took time. It finally arrived Tuesday the 29th and I finished the install last Saturday.
The first test drive was Sunday then again Monday a little farther and to town Tuesday for the front wheel alignment. I now have 125 miles on it and nothing has fallen off, so were good to go.

[Linked Image from i1232.photobucket.com]

Six Sierra View Region members are leaving Sunday at 10 AM for a 158 mile trek to Tahoe.
See you there,Jay

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
WOW !! Beautiful!!!!!!

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jay,
The finished product looks fabulous! But, alas, I will not be abel to make it to Tahoe to see it in person. I am, however, adding one more item to my 'bucket list': and that is to see, in person, your 'Yankee Hill Mint Cabriolet!' Congratulations on a superb restoration of one of the classiest looking Chevrolets built in the the 30s and 40s

Happy trails on your trek to Tahoe,
Roy

Roy_Stanley_Lord
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jay
You have not been the only 1 doing the long days and short nights getting the car finished for Tahoe but it certainly looks like a stunner worth taking to Tahoe. Travel safely and enjoy the party at the turn around point.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Great looking car and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person in Tahoe!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks to all who replied with the compliments, it makes it all worthwhile.
It's the last day to work on it, a new adjustable long tie rod is coming today from the FS. I painted the horn cap yesterday and may have to do it over today. Then pack and be ready to depart tomorrow....It's finally here and this restoration is finally over.
Jay

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Wish I would be attending. Wuould be worth it just ot see your 1941 as well as Joe's '33 coupe and Brewsters 1951.
A 1941 convertible in Cameo Cream was always my dream car.

I hope the three above cars get top awards in their classes.

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Thoroughly enjoyed walking thru your posts early this morning from day 1....that's one helluva nice 41....you did a great job....may have even given me some incentive to get off my duff with my 38!!!! Have a wonderful trip and hope you grab those top awards! Billu38

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It sure is a fine restoration. I hope it and a bunch of others are enough to stimulate VCCA members to get their cars and trucks done so they and us can enjoy them as well.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks to everyone who has commented, I really appreciate the all compliments I've received here and at Tahoe.
I'm closing with this final update...The car ran great! Although a little under powered at that elevation. Getting there and back plus the tours added 588 miles to the 125 I had on it before we left. It used no water or oil and averaged 15 MPG. I did lose a hubcap on the last day and it's now a permanent fixture of Squaw Valley.
The meet was great, seeing old friend and meeting new ones I've made here on Chat, like Brewster, his wife and daughter. I looked for the J.D. all week but we never crossed paths (really sorry I missed that beer)
So all that's left now is to enjoy the car, and get caught up on things I've let slide around the house.
Jay

Last edited by 41carguy; 08/16/16 12:40 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jay, it was a pleasure meeting you and Louise both. That '41 looks even more beautiful in person, and the hubcap that Abby found on the side of the road is going to look spectacular hanging in my garage!! As for finding the Ol' JYD... he was always easy to find out in the parking lot during the evenings. Shuffling around, guarding the cars and growling at people as you would expect a junkyard dog would do...

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Last edited by brewster; 08/16/16 09:04 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Good to hear the 41 went as planned (well almost if you count the hubcap).
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I looked for the J.D. all week but we never crossed paths (really sorry I missed that beer)

Sorry that I missed talking to you as well and I had a beer for you. I did see your car out in the hotel parking lot many times but each time when I went over to your '41 you were not there. Saw your car at the show also but I never ran into you unfortunately.

Met many new people at the Anniversary Meet throughout the week. Among them were Brewster, the mates from Australia (had many conversations with Mike Ferguson and his wife Jodi about their beautiful 1932 Chevrolet Moonlight Speedster), Kim and Liz from Denmark (Kim and I lifted many beers together thoughout the week), Art and his wife from Michigan, Dale James, William Toomey, and many, many more great folks. Even had several long chats with Kate Sullivan, the editor of the G&D. I had a fun time talking to each and every VCCA member that I ran into. All in all, it was a fantastic meet and the week went by way too fast!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My sentiments exactly Skipper. I wish I could go back and do it over and do it right... The week went way too fast.
Jay

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.