Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#362240 02/12/16 12:07 AM
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Does anyone know of a reputable clock repair shop for the wind up clock in my 47? I had it worked on teice locally but when I install it shortly thereafter it stops working. Take it out again and it works fine out of the car. Any suggestions or repair guy to call??
Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Rich47 #365053 03/24/16 09:12 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
In the conventional sense these are not really clocks but oversized watches. Try a jewelry store and I think there is a directory at nawwc dot org. If they don't do watch or car clock repair work they'll know someone that does. Bristol CT has been a ground zero for clock makers since the 19th century.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Rich, it sounds like it still needs a good cleaning. My clock in my '48 was running fine and keeping good time, but would occasionally stop. That's a sign that some type of dirt or debris is still in there causing it to stop - it doesn't take much to stop the intricate gears, just a tiny speck of dirt. Sometimes a tap, or in your case, removing it, makes it start again.

I'd contact the person that worked on your clock and tell him about it. It would depend on how long it's been since you had the work done too. Like a mechanical watch, your car clock should be cleaned and oiled periodically also.

Owners of vintage mechanical watches know that you should always keep your watch/clock running, regardless of if you're using it or not. If the clock sits, the oil starts getting gummed up and can also cause it to periodically stop.

I took mine to a local clock repair shop and he said it looked as if hadn't been open and cleaned since 1948, but that everything otherwise looked good. He gave it a good cleaning and oiling and it hasn't stopped since. I TRY to keep it wound up, even when I'm not driving the car, but admittedly, it's easy to forget if you're not driving everyday.

I've never used this service, but Smith's Classic Car Clocks provides a reconditioning service for $60, which is cheaper than I paid for my cleaning. Maybe others on the forum have used him? http://www.smithsclassiccarclocks.com/default.asp

Rich47 #365280 03/28/16 09:46 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check ou this place. I've never had any work done by them but freinds have and they are quite pleased. They are out of Illinois.
Instrument Services, Inc.
www.clocksandgauges.com

TAP48 #365310 03/28/16 05:08 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Went and saw "Hail, Ceasor" the other night. One scene showed the clock on a 40 something Buick. The clock shown was one from a 47/48. Looked real good. Just a goof, I guess.

Good movie.

Charlie computer

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

I sent my clock to a guy in NC and he cannot find anything wrong with it and has had it run on his bench for some time now with no issues. The only thing he can thik of is that when I install it maybe I am getting one bolt too tight and creating a binding effect. Seems far fetched but maybe it is possibke. They are sending it back and I will install again. Quite the mystery. Thanks for the info also.

Rich47 #365707 04/03/16 11:38 AM
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I suspect the clock is just being stubborn for some reason. Question: Do you have a Fulton on the car. If so,, well there you go. Those clocks can be right resentful and don't want to share application with no non-original accessory. Agrin

You do have to tap the glass to get them going after they sit for awhile and you first wind them. Mine at least.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie the Fulton could only help the clocks performance!Sheilding the suns glare and keeping the cab and devices cool

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.