Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#363143 02/24/16 12:34 PM
Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The springs in my '41 Chevy Coupe window regulators are broken. Chevs of the 40s has a spring that looks to be the same as the ones out of my 41, but it is labled '37 through 39. Does anyone know if it will work? They have a spring labeled for 41-48, but it not even close in appearance.

Thanks

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Don,

This is an old post that I did on rebuilding 41-48 window regulators. The correct spring was available from Chevs of the 40,s when I wrote the article.

Good luck, Mike

41 -48 Window Regulator Rebuild

Mike 41 Chevy
Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you Mike!
The information you provided is invaluable and incredibly helpful!
Am I correct that the rollers replace the leather washers? I was wondering what to do about them. Also, should I go ahead and replace the spiral ring spring inside the "clutch??" mechanism now that I have everything exposed? I would hate to have something break or fail after the door panels are upholstered and reinstalled.

Thanks again!
Don

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Don,

Yes the rollers replace the leather washers. I do not believe that the spring is failure prone, but for a few dollars replacing them is probably a good idea. I believe the spring fails only when it binds from a lack of lubrication.

Glad I could help, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Once again, Mike, thanks for the reply.

I am conducting a complete, frame-off restoration of a '41 Coupe, which happens to be my first car that I acquired in 1963. I parked it in the barn when I left for military service in 1966, and it remained in storage for 47 years until I retired and began the pursuit of item #1 on my bucket list, which is to restore and drive my car again. Yesterday, the engine was running in the car for the first time in 50 years! It was a good day!

Last night I discovered a posting on eBay for NOS regulator springs, which is how this thread of postings got started. I have been collecting parts for 5 years, and this is the first time I recall seeing them, so I ordered them immediately. I think I am going to take your advice and go ahead and completely rehab both of the regulators, including the clutch springs. I soaked the regulators in Evapo-O-Rust, so the internal parts probably have lost all the lubrication. If you are not familiar with that product, it is incredible and needs to be in every old car restorer's tol kit.

This weekend is my aniversay, so I will not be working on the car until Monday. If you don't mind, I would you appreciate you checking this thread again Monday evening, because I am certain that I will find another question or problem to address.

One final note...I don't suppose you know how to restore a 41 speedometer face to its original condition with the gold/bronze tint in the center...????? I have an NOS clock that is perfect, and magnificent, but decals from Chevs of the 40s do not come close to matching it. NOS speedometers with the tint are quite rare.

Thanks again.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Don this was on Ebay recently;
Search Ebay item number 281923752833

It did not sell and he may still have it. Speedometer shops are charging $200 to repair and old one. The bezel and needle are post war but could be swapped from your original. I considered buying it but felt it would make the clock look bad.

Congratulations on keeping your 41 all those years. I would love to be restoring my first 41, a convertible that I bought in 55 at age 15...Sadly I was the last owner of that car and junked it in 56.
Jay

Last edited by 41carguy; 02/27/16 12:33 PM.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Don,

A fellow VCCA chat guy, Curt Kennedy, just had his gas gauge restored. He might have a good recommendation for you. I think you might end up having to find a restoration gauge business. You can find them doing a Yahoo search or ask our members for recommendations. Whomever you choose I would recommend sending your clock to them so they matched the speedometer face.

If you ever want to visit about your restoration just call me. I have either "been there done that" or will be about to do it with my 41 restoration.

Good luck, Mike
1-989-832-7634

P.S. Best to start a new post when you change topics if you think others might want to comment. I told Curt to look for a post on gauges forgetting you asked the question in your window regulator post!!!

Last edited by Mike Buller; 02/27/16 04:43 PM.

Mike 41 Chevy
Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, Jay. I will check it out. We all have stories about things we did when we're 15 or 16...some good, some not so good...and some that no one will ever know about. That was also my age when I acquired my car. I went to get a hair cut one day...the car was parked outside. The barber said it was his and asked if I wanted to trade it for an old farm truck we had sitting out in the field that had not run for years. That weekend he drove the 41 to my home and towed the truck away. I never saw the truck again, but I drove the 41 until I went into the service in 66.

You may have seen it. There was recently a 41 convertible advertised on eBay with restoration photos included. I'll bet that your junk was probably in better shape than his when he started his restoration.

Thanks again.

Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, Mike.

I will probably take you up on your offer and all you next week.

I also appreciate you passing my gauge issue on. I mentioned it to you because you have been so helpful and you seem to be quite knowledgable about 41s. I have posted the question several times, and I have spoken with the VCCA technical experts and gauge restoration folks. So far, no one seems to know the secret. That said, the guy who is helping me restore my car is a car genius, and he has been able to come very close to matching the original coloration by air brushing a very thin paint mixture. I think I will post that story for your friend, Curt, and see what else might fall out.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Don, great story on how you acquired you 41, makes it even more special. Especially getting it for no money. I way over-payed for mine It was on the Chevy dealer's back row and priced at $75. On the test drive my dad was behind the wheel and said "don't buy it won't even pull itself off the lot"
But I knew better, it was baby blue with blue and yellow interior, two inch lowering blocks in back and loud exhaust. I got my learners permit just before Christmas and was in hog heaven...My own car to drive to school.

Your on the right track with the air brush. On the woodie I used a rattle can copper metallic and sprayed a few light coats.
[Linked Image from i1232.photobucket.com]

The ebay listing you referred to must be the black car in southern California. It's still listed (third time) but not getting the bids for such a nice restoration with all those accessories.

What I'm restoring now is the worst of the worst, a parts car I bought in the early 80's...No frame, no running gear, just a body in two pieces.
[Linked Image from i1232.photobucket.com]

Keep us posted on your progress, there's other "restoration journals" ongoing here. I enjoy seeing others peoples projects.
Jay

Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jay...

I followed your advice and the NOS speedometer was still available and it is in the mail to me now. I cannot thank you enough.

Beautiful dash! Did you use GIT to do the wood grain? That is next on my to do list. Very impressive job, however it was done.

...and...I thought we had a tiger by the tail with my restoration. If you succeed, you may set the all time record for making a purse out of a sow's ear! You have a potential "before and after" story for the record books. It has taken three years to restore my car, and I was able to blow up the tires (they held air after 46 years in the barn) and wench it onto the tailor. All you had to do was pick up the pieces.

Good luck

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Oh boy, I'm glad you got it. 45 yeas in this hobby and I could count the NOS 41 speedometers for sale on one hand.
I started this Cabriolet project in 1999 working part time until I retired the end of 2000....Then got serious and had it on the road the summer of 2003. In yellow primer no chrome no interior as pictured in my avatar. After the All-CAL last may It was time to blow it apart and finish it, with the goal of having it done for Tahoe. If you haven't seen it You can follow my thread here; "paint on the 41 cabriolet finally" in the 37-42 forum.

Is your coupe a Master or Special Deluxe? Three passenger or five? What color will you paint it? One of our region members just finished a black MD business coupe and it's beautiful.
Jay

Don_41 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jay...

I can't thank you enough for the lead on the speedometer. Turns out the seller used to be the 41 Tech Expert for VCCA for a long time. Nice guy. we had a great chat on the phone. I think he told me he has owned 18 41s during his lifetime. That is incredible!

Thanks also for the heads-up on the threads on your car. I will check it out. I am certainly interested in seeing your progress.

My 41 is a 5-passenger Special Deluxe Coupe built in Canada in August 1941. It was originally painted light green. By the time I acquired it in 1963 it had been repainted a medium blue. Where it is headed now is up to my wife. I want her to have some ownership in this project, so I told her she gets to pick the color. we will see how that works out.

When I got it, the door panels had an ugly sofa-type fabric on them. When I stripped them at the beginning of the restoration I discovered the factory-original coverings still in place. I took a lot of photos just in case someone might be interested in the pattern and I thought I might send some photos and a blurb to VCCA for the G&D. They were in terrible shape, but the color (green) and the stitch pattern were still quite visable.

You might also be interested in the fact that the wooden frames for the rear armrests were also in perfect shape. I have never seen a set of these on eBay in the five years I have been collecting parts.

Getting really far afield from the original topic, I purchased after-market skirts (original 41 pattern, not the half-moons of 42+) and spent five years trying to find the correct trim pieces for them. A set sold on eBay about a month back for $1,625. So, my restoration partner is now on a quest to develop the hardware to make them. He has just about perfected the process, so they may be available once again.

My wife is suggesting that we go to Tahoe this year, even though we won't have a car. If we go I would like to look you up and see your restoration.

Don

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Don, I sent you a PM

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.