Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#358847 12/26/15 12:40 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
So did anyone get a new (to them) Chevy for Christmas? I'm going to look at a 31' Canadian Roaster that been offered to me for a good price when I get home after the New Year. Even my wife is intrigued. Showed her a picture of one on Google and she really liked it.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey! What color is the Canadian roadster? Basically the only difference is the fenders and braces on the front fenders, they used two in Canada where we used one in the US.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Bruce,
FYI there are plenty of differences between USA and Canadian production 1931 cars. The front fenders are one of the most obvious. Of course available colors is another. There are plenty of others. Started a list several years ago and never completed it as I got interrupted and didn't get back to it.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
The car is blue. It is supposed to be in excellent shape other than the usual small blemishes from use. I am on vacation right now and hoping with the next week or so to take a ride and go look at it. I told my wife tonight, (after she came back from spending over $500 on shoes!) no problem honey, when we get home I'm buying that roadster! I'll keep you all posted.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If I told my wife that she would ask me if I was alright just after I regained conscientiousness. Well maybe not? Good luck in your survival and new acquisition.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Must have been a freudian slip in your opening note when you said you were going out to buy a Canadian "Roaster", I figured one of those much better Christmas Turkeys only Canadian farmers produce!

There are, as Chippper indicates, many potential, some subtle, differences between USA/Can '31 Chev's, and only a very knowledgeable observer will know. My '31 Canadian Coach has
1.the C/fenders (double bead),
2.double front fender bracket,
3.different type firewall tag,
4.different paint scheme (single color upper body versus 2-tone),
5.had 1930 exterior door handles (commmon practice for some previous year parts inventory to be used on cars assembled in Canada)
6.Chrome over steel rad shell, versus chrome over brass
7.Different part numbers for many of the cast pieces (such as transmission cases, steering links, etc) making parts searches challenging as I was not able to find a master parts list for Canadian production.
8.etc.

The nice thing is if someone suggests something on your car is not correct, you simply say "it's a Canadian thang"!

Last edited by Gunsmoke; 12/29/15 05:32 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A lot of Canadian parts were sourced from companies like McKinnon industries in St.Catharines. Some parts they made with their own dies, and others were brought in from the US. I doubt it was a case of "using up previous years supply" of things like door handles, but more a case of "why spend the money on importing another stamping machine for door handles when this one is still good".

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have been told that many of the part differences were due to minimizing the duty for parts supplied from the USA. I don't know the formula in 1931 but appears to be approx. 25-30% were Canadian sourced parts.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Thanks Gunsmoke,
I have a more extensive list hiding somewhere in this electronic box. It is not complete as I ran out of time and dedication a while back in time. I do have a May 1931 Canadian parts book that I compare to the Feb and Aug 1931 USA parts books. Also have three parts lists from OZ. Haven't thought much about comparing them to both USA and Canadian but would be a good project for someone with more time on their hands than I. Maybe when I am relegated to the rocking chair???

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by Gunsmoke
Must have been a freudian slip in your opening note when you said you were going out to buy a Canadian "Roaster", I figured one of those much better Christmas Turkeys only Canadian farmers produce!

There are, as Chippper indicates, many potential, some subtle, differences between USA/Can '31 Chev's, and only a very knowledgeable observer will know. My '31 Canadian Coach has
1.the C/fenders (double bead),
2.double front fender bracket,
3.different type firewall tag,
4.different paint scheme (single color upper body versus 2-tone),
5.had 1930 exterior door handles (commmon practice for some previous year parts inventory to be used on cars assembled in Canada)
6.Chrome over steel rad shell, versus chrome over brass
7.Different part numbers for many of the cast pieces (such as transmission cases, steering links, etc) making parts searches challenging as I was not able to find a master parts list for Canadian production.
8.etc.

The nice thing is if someone suggests something on your car is not correct, you simply say "it's a Canadian thang"!

Sorry, I must have been thinking about a nice hot cup of coffee, not a turkey! LOL

This car actually belongs to a member of the VCCA that no longer participates much in club activities. If I do purchase the car, then I will say who the car once belonged to. It is definitely a Canadian car and the point was made clear to me when I was contacted. Question, is a Canadian car worth more or less than a US manufactured car of the same model?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes, Chipper, I recall we discussed the hood louvers panel being different, the hood latches ('29/'30 catches), and some other details. While most of the issues would not affect operation or value, finding such "Canadian" parts could be a challenge as Canadian made cars are likely only 5% of all the '31's extant. That '31 Canadian Master Parts book you are hoarding should be let out into the sunlight somehow! Have you considered putting it on line via the "old car user manual" site.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chistech
Question, is a Canadian car worth more or less than a US manufactured car of the same model?

I don't think there is any value difference in Canadian vs American cars at all. Most of the differences are not visible to the eye, nor do they affect the visual appearance of the cars. I think there is a significant difference in value vs. Australian produced cars, but that has more to do with the right hand drive, and visual differences of Holden bodies vs Fisher Bodies.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I don't know if Keith is still actively adding new stuff to the site. He is no longer on the high seas with lots of idle time so may not have the opportunity to scan and post as in the past. I invited him to come to my house and select items he wanted to post several years ago. So far haven't seen him. If someone had the time and skills and assured security then I might make some of my literature available to be copied. Since I paid good money and many hours to acquire the literature I hesitate just to give it all away.

I know that you will not take this personally as you have made significant contributions to the VCCA and this site. In my opinion there are too many that glean what information they can get without any obligation to contribute or help pay back for what they receive. It irks me.

Many years ago I made a copy of a very rare DeVaux parts book for a person (won't use gentleman because he is not one) that was restoring one of the cars. The copies were given with the express condition that they would not be copied or further distributed. Yup, he made at least 10 copies that he sold. Not a penny came my way. He tried to justify it saying it helped finance his restoration. Bah, humbug!

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Still on vacation in FL and been needling the wife about the car. She's been saying, "we don't need another car" so I said, you don't really need those 5 pairs of shoes you bought either! Yes, that went over like a "fart in church" but we're staying at my in-laws and my mother in-law told my wife to "zip it". She said if your husband wants the car, he should have the car, he works hard and you guys can afford it! Man, I always knew I married into the right family! LOL It's still going to take some coercion but I'm going to work diligently!

Another question: I saw where it was said that the bodies on the CN roadsters are a single color vs US two color. Does that mean it's one color with just pin-striping or not even pin-striping? Can someone explain it a little better for me. Trying to get a visual as the paint scheme doesn't sound as appealing as the two tone might be.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I think you better get the heck out of Florida before she goes out and comes back with another 5 pairs just for spite ! bolt

If it ain't brokeā€¦..fix it 'til it is.
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
5 more pairs of shoes would be cheap leverage actually! We'll see what happens. Not sure if I'm even going to like it or be able to get it for what I really want to pay. Not looking to steal it but I do know that it's been for sale on an off for a couple years. I do want it for me and not to sell or make any money on and I will tell the seller that. I'm a man of my word and I believe the car going to a good home and staying local will matter.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Cant speak to the paint differences on the 31 but my 32 deluxe roadster had a bit of a different paint scheme. Instead of the normal paint, two tone paint on the body line molding the two tone was from the hood body line flared up around the windshield post. From the windshield cowl band top of the doors to the rear deck and rumble lid was all a the second colour. Hood doors were painted, not chromed.
Canadian roadsters are body by Chevrolet and have a cowl tag(at least my 32 does).Shock absorbers are cast in St Catherines Ontario. Luggage rack is different and so is the trim on the rack .7 short strips instead of three on the American cars. Generator and starter are made in Canada. Same piece just the id tag is different.
Good luck with the purchase .... Hope you didn't have to sit and wait while your wife tried on 100 plus different shoes only to get 5... Been there done that , time Ill never get back . She says the same thing to me when Im rummaging through boxes of parts at flee markets. At least she has comfortable shoes.
Have a great new years.

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks for the info Jack. Luckily no, she was shopping with her mom. I was hanging out at home were this is peace and quiet.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
For the '31 Canadian Coach, my research (limited but I tried)indicates the lower sheet metal (fenders, aprons) were the normal black, but body was all one color. In my car's case, body was dark blue with red pin striping and grey reveals around windows, and with a greyish broadcloth interior with a small diamond pattern. The wire wheels were available in red or black. I don't recall red wire wheels being an option for the US built '31 Coach with blue paint (typically had cream wheels). The single color body may not be as fetching as the 2-tone, but the red wires (I have sidemounts) adds some spice.

As for a Roadster, I expect they too had unique color combinations, JYD seems to know some of this detail.

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Called the seller up to go take a look and the car has been sold. It's ok. My wife told me she'd rather have me find a car in need of restoration and restore it myself than buy one already restored. She feels the car will mean more to us and she'd prefer it had my own work into it. I guess I really can't argue with that. Now to find a decent restoration candidate that's not priced crazy.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.