Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
She did respond to my email the other day, She is leaving up to the powers that be to decide the case. Can't blame her.
"don't shoot the messenger"

Gene Schneider
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

dlz Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
this just might add to the confusion, I have what I would consider to be an original country club brochure that I got as an insert in a 1948 chevy sales brochure that I bought around 1963-4, the sales literature was original nos. this woody brochure is not like the ones shown on this site.I do not have a way to post any pictures of this but it does not have any reference to gm licensing permission it, but in the blank space at the bottom of the header page printed in red (not stamped)is don allen chevrolet with the address of broadway at 57 street new york new york also the curley cues at top are red as well, also there is no chevy bowtie anywhere on the piece, and the t bar is plainly visible on the conv. and the fleetline, also the wood comes right up to the chrome beltline,seeing as how I have had this for over 50 plus years I have no reason to believe this is a reprint. I also wonder that their address being in the fisher building in detroit if there might be some connection to chevrolet through fisher body.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Can you send me the pics,I will post?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Here's a thread from a year ago, speaks of the wood kits, as well.

In this 2 page thread, there are "yeas" and "nays", regarding the authenticity of the wood kit.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/317094/1

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
For guidance for the powers that need to make a descision on this topic I think we should have a vote at some point.
I sure would not want to be the person saying yes or no to the owners of these distinctive cars. By the end of this week there should be enough new information to go ahead and do so.
After this is settled the ElMorroco should be next. devil

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Gene,
I respectfully disagree with a vote by Chat members by the end of the week. It is a technical not a popularity issue. The VCCA Judging Committee is charged by the Board to review, research and then decide on judging issues. They should review the available literature references and then decide if it is keeping with the purpose and values of the VCCA.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Let me weigh in here...Yes I am a bit bias on this topic, in my right mind I never considered the Country Club Trim Kit for my 48 Fleetline was any less then a Chevrolet sponsored product and hens correct for my car...After first seeing the kit many years back and reading it was factory approved, I had to have it! I Searched high and low and 2 years later, my friend Ida found a NOS kit in Detroit,still in the box...When I got the kit, the box was in poor shape, there was no print on it, but wood was in great shape, the transfer flim and instructions were also in fairly good shape...You have to guess, I was pretty excitedî...After Mayland Black paint, it was time to suck it up ,drill a bunch of holes and install...It was easier than I expected and I was a happy camper...The Fleetline has been enjoyed by many, being awarded 2 gold awards, first senior oval and best of show at a regional VCCA meet...As most of you know "except for my Fulton" I am extremely into things being accurate and correct...I will say I would be shocked if the CC Wood Kit is deemed not so

Let's face the facts "although not all documented"

I have read 3 different magazine articles "one being the G&D the CC Kit was factory approved

There is a Bow Tie a brochure advertising the CC Kit for Chevrolets only

VCCA Judging has accepted CC Kit as correct to date

And what about Chevrolets sales and marketing business common sense in the late 40's
Would any auto company allow such a large appearance change of one of their new vehicles leave a dealership with out some type of ownership in this venture?????

[Linked Image from i563.photobucket.com]

SAVE ME,I am 100% Chevrolet

Last edited by chef-chevy; 11/01/15 05:20 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
"For documentation you need material from Chevrolet.Just sold through Chevrolet Dealers doesn't mean it was a Genuine Chevrolet part or accessory.
There is a long list of things the dealers sold, especially in the 1946-1948 years when Chevrolets were in short supply and the dealers loaded them up with a lot of accessories."

Referring to the wood kit in last years thread, the above quote was written in that thread. The comments make sense to me, but what makes sense to me may not mean anything to the next guy. Valid accessory or not, I like the "rich appearance", that the wood kit provides.

40 years ago, when my son played "Tee League Baseball" and "Midget League Football", the CHAMPS received the trophy, and ONLY THE CHAMPS.

In todays world, kids receive trophies for showing up, each one receives a trophy, from the water boy to the star player.

Is that where VCCA is headed ?

In last years thread, Chipper noted an owner, whose car was not Powerglide equipped, from the factory (as I understood), but was granted a "no deduction", since it was now Powerglide equipped, due to the owners personal physical issues. Now, the next step, the owner wanted "a free pass" for air conditioning, as well.

This idea of "individual variances" is a mess. Has nothing to do with how the new vehicle was delivered, to the owner.

VCCA has some sort of a plan to determine the authenticity and validity of anything that is on the vehicle being judged. Correct ?

If so, the same "plan" should apply, for each part, each kit, or whatever.

I'm now reading the validity of the kit does not depend on a GM part number, but, instead, it is suggested that the validity and authenticity should be determined if there is a "CHEVY BOWTIE", within the ad, from days gone by.

Does the VCCA judging rule state the "CHEVY BOWTIE" should / must appear in ads, to validate authentic accessories or parts ?

Perhaps its time to hand out awards to each entry, just like the trophy handouts in todays Tee League Baseball.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
One thing I have noticed with the cars with the wood kit is that each one is a different color of wood. Which one is correct? Some took more red and others more brown.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just to be clear, a part of me hopes that the wood kit is authenticated for the three '48 Chevrolet models. They really look sharp. Another part understands that any non-official Chevrolet accessory that is allowed to to get a point deduction pass takes a tiny piece out of the purpose for the VCCA and penalizes the guy that "does it by the book".

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I understand...What are your. Thoughts about this kit being added by the dealers with out full buy off by the Chevrolet executives...Pretty bold move in the 40's

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Pretty bold move in the 40's

Not really. There were other parts made in the aftermarket industry prior to the late 1940's that used the Chevrolet bow-tie under license and they were not genuine Chevrolet accessories. The accessories were not listed in the parts books nor did the accessories have a Chevrolet part number. These items were available both from the Chevrolet dealers and from aftermarket suppliers.

Also, there were generic aftermarket accessories that were sold and installed by the Chevrolet dealers back in the early 1930's as well.

Question: Does anyone know if Engineered Enterprises also sold their Chevrolet wood kits direct to the consumer, especially since their name appears on the flyer? If they did, then that would possibly indicate that their product was not a genuine Chevrolet accessory.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm sure they did not cover a 1/3 of the car?

Last edited by chef-chevy; 11/01/15 10:44 PM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'm sure they did not show on a 1/3 of the car?

???? Can you be more specific as to what you mean?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
The look and design of the car is changed in a big way!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Absolutely and I totally agree. With the accessory wood kit added to the vehicle, (whether it is an aftermarket product or truly a Chevrolet accessory) the appearance of the car is greatly enhanced without a doubt.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000

In last years thread, Chipper noted an owner, whose car was not Powerglide equipped, from the factory (as I understood), but was granted a "no deduction", since it was now Powerglide equipped, due to the owners personal physical issues. Now, the next step, the owner wanted "a free pass" for air conditioning, as well.

I know personally of a case where the national BOD issued a variance to a VCCA member who had major physical handicaps in about 1997?. Walking was a significant challange for this VCCA member. He wanted to stay active in driving his old Chevrolet. This guy could not use his feet to operate the clutch. This VCCA member was granted a variance and was allowed to put an automatic in his late 1940's (?) vehicle, that was originally only available with a stick shift. This VCCA member was not granted a variance for installing A/C. FYI. I was Chief Judge at the Meet where his vehicle was judged.

I have not know of the National Board ever doing this again since this particular case in the late 1990s.

If anyone would like to talk about the issue of a variance, I suggest that you start a new thread. This thread on the Country Club Kit has been fantastic so far.

dtm

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Dave,
It is great having the discussion on the CC wood trim in a public forum. The more relevant inputs particularly concerning literature references the better. However I believe the discussions on VCCA judging criteria and possible exemptions or special accommodations should be in another thread in one or more of the members forums.

ChatMaster - 750
Online Content
ChatMaster - 750
Originally Posted by chef-chevy
Can you send me the pics,I will post?

Won't dlt need your e-mail unless he uses private msg to you ???

Love to see what he has.

Dick

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Dick I tried him again and gave him my e-mail as well

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Love to see what he has.
Yea, I've checked several times today to see it was posted. Slow day today.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Not a lot of luck with this one...dlz,must be new here..He must not be checking in or answering my PM...His profile has no e-mail

Last edited by chef-chevy; 11/03/15 09:42 AM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
In the Country Club thread from August of 2014, Mr Scott, from the VCCA Judging Committee, stated a precedent was already established for the Country Club package.

If that statement is accurate, this years discussion of the same C.C. kit appears redundant.

Genuine GM or not, kit looks good and VCCA judging has already accepted the kit.

"Guys, we have already set a precedent with the Country Club package. We have three of them in the system already. I think we are going to have to be open to some of the examples that you all have given. Woody wagons, SRC conversions into convertibles, hearses, ambulances, fire trucks, ice cream trucks, yes, even Yenkos, in my humble opinion. A few years back we presented a motion to the BOD to have a "Special Interest" class. It was set up similar to HPOCF and CDPC. It included most of what we are talking about. Other examples were airport limos, speedsters and a whole lot more. The motion fell on deaf ears.

It has been long over due but the Judging Program needs some attention. Perhaps an assessment of some kind. It would be nice to have a revised and fresh program ready for 2016. ??

1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
www.vcca.org/~nir/ "

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just because there are three CCs in the system does not mean that they have been officially accepted without possible point deduction. I say that because it is likely that the judges for those particular car(s) may not have been comfortable deducting points for the added trim. The policy is not to deduct unless the judge is relatively certain. A judge at the next meet may feel that the CC kit is aftermarket and deduct points.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I think it is pretty much been decided here that the wood kit is incorrect! But incorrect what,body panel or accessory?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.