Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#353823 10/13/15 04:50 PM
Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello,
My Dad bought a 28 Chevy coupe with a rumble seat 10 or so years ago. He worked on it then and got it running somewhat. He was going to get serious on it and then his health failed. Now he is in a home and there sits the 28. I finally decided to get it running again. New battery, coil, and gas tank cleaned. I disassembled the vac tank and cleaned all the crud and rust out of it. Lo and behold it started! The only problem is what to do next. I have a 28 Chevy repair manual and several Dykes books, but found no info. I don't know if the owner's manual would tell or not. Since I don't have one I thought I would ask the pros. I went by a note my Dad used, but I feel that it wasn't quite right. It seemed like it really wanted to run despite my ignorance. Any help would be appreciated!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I feel like I got lucky when it started. I really don't know the correct process for properly starting and keeping the engine running. Throttle ,spark ,etc. If I could get some info on the correct way to start a cold engine then what to do when it warms up,that would be great.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Cornjie start by applying the hand brake and take the transmission out of gear. Set your spark advance lever to full retard and throttle lever to 1/4 setting. Make sure your full shut-off valve under the vacuum pump is open. (optional= spray some starting fluid in carb opening) set your choke on, turn ignition on and step on the starter button. Once the engine has started you can advance the timing. As the engine warms up you can open the choke.Good Luck.

Last edited by SSG26K; 10/14/15 10:23 AM.

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Cronje, welcome to Chevy Chatter! There is a wealth of info on this site about your car. If you join the VCCA, you'll get access to extra goodies, like technical articles and the ability to use the search engine.

I agree with SSG26K, that is the process I use to start my '28.

This process is included in the owner's manual, along with other neat tips like how to double clutch.

The booklets show up on ebay and a number of vendors sell reprints. I suggest getting one for your use and also to display when you take your car to shows.

Got pics?

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
These old cars all have a personality of there own. I have two cars with 216 engines. One likes the choke and the other one does not. One likes the gas pedal pumped, the other does not,

Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks, I'll see how that does. I was getting bits of info from various sources, but nothing concrete.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You can find the Instructions (Owners Manual) for 1928 models on "Old Online Chevy Manuals" here .
But I guess that it is more expensive to print all the 78 pages than to buy a copy from Gary Wallace or the Filling station.

Per-Åke Larsson
Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I ordered an owner's manual last night. The online info will work great in the meantime.Thanks!

Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I tried starting it today and found it starting hard and when finally starting would run for a minute or two and then die. Only run when choked all the way. Once it dies it is almost impossible to restart. I have taken starting fluid and sprayed into carb breather hole with mixed results. I probably need to remove the carb and clean it. Also starts with very low rpm's on brand new battery. once it has started and then dies ,it will turn over much faster for a short period ,the be slow to start again. I will say that I do love to hear it run though.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi,

Your description brings a couple of things to mind:

1. Since the starter motor is turning slowly, I suspect the battery cables are too thin. These old guys need much thicker cables than the newer 12v systems. The larger cables allow the amperage to reach the starter motor. Think of a water hose: larger diameter equals more flow. Other possibilities are corrosion between the ground cable and the chassis or corrosion in the connections to the floor starter switch and the starter motor. I suggest cleaning all electrical connections with some sandpaper or a small wire brush. For the battery to ground connection, I use a star lock washer in between the cable to 'dig in' and provide a good electrical connection.

2. There is a tiny fuel screen inside the carb inlet. I suspect it is clogged causing not enough fuel to get to the carb for prolonged running. Other possibilities are partially clogged fuel line, vacuum leak, or crud in the bottom of the gas tank.

Keep us posted. Yes, the roar of a four is sweet!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Got good heavy battery cables. Good contacts. I will check those on the starter button. Took carb off and found that someone at some time removed the screen assembly on the fuel inlet. Just a threaded/ barbed fitting for rubber fuel line. Also someone removed the screen to the inlet on the air cylinder. Must have been fighting rust issues for years.

Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Got to looking online at carbs. I am missing the inlet/ screen housing on the carb. I just have a fitting screwed into the hole with the gas line plugged in.Will that affect it's performance much?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Considering that the fuel was not filtered, I suggest opening the carb to check for crud in all the tiny orifices.

Also, check that the float/shut-off-needle is set correctly.

Imagine how good it will feel when you find and fix the problem! A good use of your critical thinking skills. wink

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My '28 suffered from a slow starter motor that really struggled, even after I had cleaned and refitted all the connections, and fitted a new battery.

The problem was the bolts that hold the bendix drive spring to the pinion and shaft had come loose and where rubbing on the inside of the housing, just tightened them up with Loctite and it's fine now..

Bernard

Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!
Cronjie Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I sanded and cleaned all the contacts I could find. Put some gas in the vaccuum tank and it started on the first try. Ran it for a good 7-10 minutes. Let off the choke, advanced the spark, dropped the throttle down, adjusted the idle screw on the carb. Ran awesome. Went in reverse and 1st gear. Only problem is that once the vac tank empties out it starts to die. Looks like it is drawing some from the tank, but not really enough. The vac tank looked pretty much complete minus the screen on the fuel inlet. Changed the oil and put some more gas in the vac tank, ran great again. No smoke or anything. Hasn't even been out of the garage and I was about as excited as I have been all week!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Congrats! So, you've narrowed down the current problem down to the fuel line and/or plugged gas tank.

Fun, huh?

bana2 Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Great stuff, I think we all know that feeling! It's a bit of a long shot but make sure the breather hole in the gas tank cap is clear, the fuller the tank the quicker the air inside runs out.

Bernard

Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
How much gas did have in the gas tank when it stopped running? I had a problem that if the gas tank was less than 1/2 full the car would run out of gas. It turned out the gas line inside the tank was disconnected from the fuel line fitting of the fuel line going to the vacuum tank and was sucking air and not fuel.

I removed the gas tank and had the fuel inside the tank re-soldiered and the vacuum tank functioned fine after that.

Dave Cufr #12505
1927 Capitol coupe
1928 National 4-door
1928 Speedster
1936 Standard Town Sedan
1975 Nova Custom Hatchback
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There is a needle in the top of the vacuum tank where the line comes from the intake manifold. Take emory cloth to it and make sure you have good vacuum from the intake manifold to the vacuum tank.

cordman

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.