Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Any help on the assembly procedure would be appreciated. I need to know what goes on which side of the housing and in what order. I don't even know if these are the right parts for this assembly. Pictures of the process would be wonderful.....or a video..... or just stopping by the house and helping out. Dinner and beers are on me.

I have a couple pictures of the differential assembly on

PhotoBucket: http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/mylsnh/library/?view=recent&page=1

Facebook: Michael Howes

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I can see from the pictures that you have got two differential ball thrust bearings. On my 1922 490 I have that ball bearing only on the left side. On the right side I have a thrust bearing that consists of three pieces: Two steel washers and between them the bronze bushing, of the same kind I can see on the picture. The two holes in the steel washers fits on my 490 the dowel pins in the right axle housing and in the right side of the differential housing. If you don't have any pins there, I guess the best is to use the ball bearings on both sides of the differential housing.

On the picture you have two washers with smaller holes. I guess they fit in the axle housings, as a stop for the roller bearings.

As to the process I recommend that you use a combination of "Chevrolet Repair Manual 1918-1924 '490' - Superior - G - FA - FB - T" and "The model T Ford Front and Rear Axles".

I bought mine Chevrolet Repair Manual from Gary Wallace, Early Chevrolet parts, and the Ford manual from Snyder's.

The Chevrolet Repair manual is a bit tricky, because some parts of the text covers both 490 and Superior models, some parts only early 490 models ("with Straight Tooth Ring and Pinion Gears"), some parts only 1922 490 ("with Spiral Ring and Pinion Gear") and Superior models. And it is not always quite clear if a specific text concerns your model or not, because there is no no easy step by step instruction for te different models.

The Ford manual has a more clear step by step structure. On the other hand there are parts of the text that is not applicable for the Chevrolet.

If you haven't got the "Combined Parts List Four Ninety and Superior Models, Effective on and after February 1st. 1924" I can recommend that too. I bought it from Gary Wallace.

Maybe you can have some help reading my thread about the repair work on my rear axle. In one of the posts is a link to my website.

Per-Åke Larsson
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
By the way: As there are some important parts that are the same on 1923-1924 Superior models as on 490 models, and some important differences between 1923-1924 Superior models and later four-cylinder models I recommend you also to follow the 1916-1922 forum. Not so many posts there, so it will not take a long time to follow. And if you search, don't forget to search the 1916-1922 forum.

Per-Åke Larsson
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the help Swedechev. All of that is sound advice. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and working, by trial and error, on my differential.

I have learned one thing for sure.......I am getting too old to be throwing that much weight around by myself!!

I have been making, what I consider to be, good process in putting it together. I figured out I needed only one of the thrust bearings and a couple of the shims. I haven't gotten it totally together but I believe I have eliminated any side-to-side movement in the differential housing. The propeller shaft is together, with no free play end-to-end.

I need a couple replacement bolts for the ring gear then I can work on the fitment of the pinion gear to the ring gear, wire lacing the bolts, final assembly, then back on the car and ready for hookup to the transmission.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike - I would really appreciate your help in taking some good pictures showing how the parts go together. Lay them out on cardboard in order of assembly or something like that. I have plans to do some additional work, but I have not had any time to work that that car.

Chris
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just literally got done buttoning up that rear differential. I took some pictures that might help you along the way. I haven't even uploaded the pictures to my photobucket site yet but I should have them there by the time you read this message. If you need any more pictures or explanations of what I did in the next couple days let me and I will be happy to break down the differential and try to take better pictures or maybe even make a short video of my process. Not saying that what I did was even close to the right way, but everything seems to fit pretty good with close tolerances.

Maybe the short video would be a good idea anyway, what do you think?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike,
The video would be great as more than a few of us could use it. I plan on taking my rear down this winter as I have a bad noise coming from it when slowing down and especially turning. All of you and Swede's info will come in very handy!

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.