Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Honer Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am ready to replace Engine,Trans,Front Grill and Radiator. I started to remove Chrome on top of grill removed the six screws and rubber bumpers but could not get it off, did not want to pry.Looks like that has to come off before I can remove hood.Does the whole front come off together radiator grill headlights and all. I thought I would ask before I tear something up. I have the manual but it does not show engine removal. If there is a book that shows how I would buy one. Thanks for any help The Honer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello Honer,

The grill top, once unscrewed should slide up off the side stainless. If you can't get it up, go under the dash and look up into the center of the cowl and you should see a large nut. This nut holds the rear clamp of the center strip. With the hood in the closed position remove the nut, lock washer, and if it has one, the flat washer.

With the help of a friend, for safety, raise the 2 halves into the open position. Unscrew the 2 screws at the lead part of the center strip (core support) . You, with your helper, should be able to lift it toward the windshield and out of the grill top.

If you have the room, I'm told, you can remove the nose as one piece. When removing the engine in my '37 MD, alone, I choose to remove the fenders, then unbolt the lower core support bolts, then the upper "V" rod bolts to the core support. I was able to remove the core support, radiator/headlight assembly as one. It's awkward, but doable.

As a side note......try to mark the "v" rod so it minimizes the time it takes to realign the core support as it has a direct affect on the hood gaps.

Dave
old cars are meant to be driven !!
VCCA # 047832

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.