Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#350581 09/02/15 10:25 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I've never actually given a full on, 100% try at cranking my car by hand. I've turned the engine over for valve adjustment or the once-in-a-blue-moon when the starter hangs. I've always been too afraid of kick-back breaking my arm or hand, even if I hold it without wrapping my thumb around. I know the crank has cutouts which seem as though they would allow the engine to turn backwards without allowing the crank handle to kick back. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it relatively safe? I'd really like to try it once.

Thanks,
Brandon

Youth is wasted on the young
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

I also saw this description on a tractor starting video...

Tractor magnetos have an impulse, which fires the plug after top dead center when you are cranking, (antique cars have a manual advance/retard lever) but if the impulse doesn't work right, the engine can fire before top dead center and pull your face down into the radiator, or jerk the crank out of your hand, spin around, and break you wrist. Keep your fingers and thumb on the same side of the crank; pull the crank from the bottom of its swing to the top (called a Quarter Turn; 1/4 of the combustion cycle), and stand so your arm will escape the arc of the crank if it jerks loose and spins around. I have been lucky and never had my arm broken when an engine kicked back, and that crank really gets your attention when it spins around like a helicopter. If the engine kicks when you are pushing down on the crank; well, it's going to hurt. Have fun, but remember Safety First.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks, brewster. Very timely (pun intended). I will be trying to start my 1925/26 Chevy 2 cylinder engine soon cranking by hand. Since it has a John Deere magneto, I'll be extra careful.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Dene, have you ever posted pictures of your 2-cylinder engine?

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I crank my 29 now and then for fun. I pull up on the crank and I have had no problems.

David Nittler
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have thought of starting mine by hand. Just to say I have done it. My 1930 has the bumper on front. This makes even less room for hands and cranking. Is there anything extra to know when hand starting car with bumper?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I hand cranked a couple of my '31 Chevys once they had already been started that day. Did it mainly to know I could do it.

Retard the spark is the most important first step. Position the crank with the key OFF to 8-9 o'clock and on a compression stroke. Turn on the key. Grab the crank handle with fingers pointing left and thumb tucked against the index finger. Your hand should be in a cup shape. Pull up quickly and firmly. Let your hand come all the way off the crank. If all is right then engine will start and have a slightly rough idle until you advance the spark. The crank should come forward enough so it does not continue to spin.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Check out the responses to my 12-16-15 thread on this forum, Feeling Cranky. You'll be an expert. Also here's a cool link from Rustoholic. You need the hat and suspenders to master the technique though. laugh

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/handcrank.htm

If it ain't brokeā€¦..fix it 'til it is.
Jmm Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I hand crank when engine has not started in a while. I remove all the spark plugs and with the ignition turned off. Get everything lubed and moving with several hand crank sessions.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.