Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Changing to a higher gear in my 39 is a must,being pushed in traffic needs to end. I have changed engines,transmissions and many other things but have never did anything with a rear end and would like an opinion on whether or not if I should run the other way and let the pro's do it.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Depends on how you are changing the rear end....exchange complete torque tube and carrier. Easy
Change ring gear and pinion only. A little more complicated.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
would like an opinion on whether or not if I should run the other way and let the pro's do it.

It might be easier for you if you let the professionals change out your rear end. Sometimes changing out a rear end can be a nightmare, especially if you have never done it before.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you guy's those answers are exactly what I was looking for.Like you say if I found every thing complete I could do it.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello 39chevbuisness,

I purchased a complete rear from a '37 Master (3:73 gears).

Pulled the axles and the torque tube / gear combo from my '37 MD (4:22).

Because I had already "adjusted" the rear differential saddles, I didn't want to pull the entire rear differential. Pulled the axles and torque tube / gear combo from the purchased rear and installed the torque tube / gear combo into me rear differential. It is a pretty straight forward install. (Follow the manual for rear differential disassembly)

Remove all the old gaskets and be sure the surfaces are clean. Be sure the rear cover bolt holes are clean ( I used brake clean spray) as they are a thru hole to the gear lube. When you install the cover, add a new gasket, add sealant to the threads of the bolts.

Where the torque tube bolts to the rear differential, add a thin layer of sealant, then the new gasket, then a thin layer of sealant to the gasket, then add a small bead of sealant around the studs. This should eliminate any gear lube leaks in this area.

As long as you have the room, follow basic safety procedures (use of jacks and placement of jack stands), it's a job you can perform.

Dave
old cars are meant to be driven !!
VCCA # 047832
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
39chevbusiness,

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. In this article I describe how I did it in my '36 PU, a vastly more complex project than yours would be:

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/334876/1936_Chevy_3.55_rear_gear_conv

I am a geologist with no professional experience in auto mechanics, machining or welding and the article describes the steps that got the job done right here at home, with photos. The highway friendly 3.55 gears are a hugely worthwhile improvement in interior noise level and improved fuel economy and a 17% improvement in cruising speed.

If you have any questions about the process I'd by glad to try to help.

Ray W raywaldbaum@gmail.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.