Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34841 05/31/03 07:22 AM
dunes Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
:confused: My power steering unit in my 54 is leaking at the horn wire location. I looked in my Chevy Shop Manual and it says if it is leaking there I have a faulty value cover seal on the unit. Has anyone or does anyone know the procedure to install a new seal? Doesn't tell or show how to do this in the manual. Do I need to pull whole unit out? Can I make a seal myself out of rubber or is there somewhere I can get the part? Suggestion. Please help.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
In looking at the shop manual it descrbes any major operations to the gear unit will require removing it from the car.The blow--up picture of the P/S gear in the parts book shows the valve cover is attached to the end of the steering column mast jacket.In the disassembly of the steering gear (after its out of the car) the first thing they say to do is remove the three valve cover screws and slide the valve cover up off the steering main shaft .Remove and discard the valve cover "O" ring seal.Unless theres a way to do this with the gear in the car it looks as if it all must be removed.The only other thing is if the column could be unbolted at the valve cover and pulled up into the car to get at the "O" ring.???....If this were my car I would buy a can of TransX brand Aotumatic Transmission Sealer and add it to the P/S fluid.It will soften the seals.There are sealers like this made just for P/S leaks but I know the Trans X works.Have used this in two older "modern" P/S units with complete sucess.Was recommended by a mechanic friend years back.If about 4 ounces are added it will take about 2 weeks for it to work. wink
wink wink wink

Gene Schneider
dunes Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Chevgene,
I'll give the Trans X a try first, if that doesn't work (I hope it does), Any idea where to find a seal and o-ring for the unit?
Thanks again,
Gary

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.